Pure O2 Equipment

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Pure O2 Equipment

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 pm

The equipment all arrived this week so I had to test this out today. I have just literally finished an APA and gave it a blast of o2 for around a minute. I am using WLP029 and pitching on the lower side of 16c so hoping for some nice results. I have a Bohemian Plisner and Tripel planned next when the brew fridges are clear where this should be ideal for pitching cold on the Bohemian (8c) and for the Tripel which will have a high OG.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Rhodesy wrote:The equipment all arrived this week so I had to test this out today. I have just literally finished an APA and gave it a blast of o2 for around a minute. I am using WLP029 and pitching on the lower side of 16c so hoping for some nice results. I have a Bohemian Plisner and Tripel planned next when the brew fridges are clear where this should be ideal for pitching cold on the Bohemian (8c) and for the Tripel which will have a high OG.
Were the yeast in the wort when you blasted it?

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:55 pm

No, I added a 1L active starter immediately after

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:58 pm

:wink:

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:19 pm

I've caved in after using a compressor and air filter with an air stone for a while now.

Just a couple of questions as I collect the necessary bits of O2 kit.....

I've checked out the LZQ flow meters - just seen they do a version that goes from 0-1.5L or 0-3L? Would the 1.5 litre version be any better?

Has anyone tried the O2 regulator with gauge? Can you screw on a 3/8 JG connector as Jocky thought might be possible?

Thanks!
Ian

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 am

donchiquon wrote:I've caved in after using a compressor and air filter with an air stone for a while now.

I've checked out the LZQ flow meters - just seen they do a version that goes from 0-1.5L or 0-3L? Would the 1.5 litre version be any better?

Has anyone tried the O2 regulator with gauge? Can you screw on a 3/8 JG connector as Jocky thought might be possible?

Thanks!
Search eBay for one of these ex hospital jobbies.

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:16 pm

orlando wrote:Search eBay for one of these ex hospital jobbies.

Thanks Orlando. Looks good - a nice neat set-up. Which reg have you screwed it onto? It looks different to the welduk one.

I've also seen one without the white plastic barb...would this be easy enough to find separately or should I find one that comes with the barb?

Thanks again!
Ian

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Both items were sourced from eBay, both dedicated O2. The plastic barb came with it, but could be relatively easy to get separately but if you can source the whole thing, and you should, then getting it as a complete piece might be worth holding out for.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:40 am

donchiquon wrote:I've caved in after using a compressor and air filter with an air stone for a while now.

Thanks!
The LZQ flow meters aren't great quality, but the 0-3L one reads true enough for my purposes. My problem with the medical ones was that they were setup to dispense much higher volumes.

As for the regulator with gauge - I have seen someone using it, which was what prompted me to make that comment.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:59 am

orlando wrote:Both items were sourced from eBay, both dedicated O2. The plastic barb came with it, but could be relatively easy to get separately but if you can source the whole thing, and you should, then getting it as a complete piece might be worth holding out for.
Thanks Orlando - I'll get trawling!
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Jocky wrote:The LZQ flow meters aren't great quality, but the 0-3L one reads true enough for my purposes. My problem with the medical ones was that they were setup to dispense much higher volumes.

As for the regulator with gauge - I have seen someone using it, which was what prompted me to make that comment.
Thanks Jocky. I'll give Welduk a call and find out the thread size for the JG screw in 3/8 connector.
Ian

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Goulders talks about this setup here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=76649&p=798470&hil ... en#p798470

He says you need some tape to get a good seal on the reg with the FFL John Guest fitting., but it fits.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I found that earlier today after you mentioned that someone else had set up the reg with gauge.

Goulders has linked to a female threaded JG 3/8 push fit but the guy I called at Welduk said it was a male screw in fitting (a JG push fit for 4mm tubing).

I've PM'ed Goulders to check.
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 am

After another chat with WeldUK I think this is the right JG connector: a 3/8 BSPT to 3/8 push fit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PI011203S-3-8 ... SwepJXXBrX

From memory I think this is the same fitting that I've used on various other CO2 regs.
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Is anyone oxygenating through the dump valve of their conical?

At the moment I use a wand with stone to do the job (with a compressor) but am thinking about using the dump valve when I use O2 for my next brew (see pic).

It looks like the bubbles of O2 from the stone might end up gathering in the fittings before being pushed up into the body of the wort. I'm thinking this might negate the point of using a stone.
Ian