Pure O2 Equipment

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Pure O2 Equipment

Post by Jocky » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

How long? is a rather difficult question to answer because it depends upon:

- The volume of beer you're injecting it into
- The flow rate of oxygen
- The rate of diffusion (which is largely influenced by how fine your bubbles are, but also other things like head pressure and temperature of the wort)
and as you've already mentioned
- The volume of wort.

The other factor is:

- The O2 requirements of the yeast you're working with at the rate and gravity you're pitching it at.

A good starting point is 1 minute at 1 litre per minute for 5 gallons. Some worts and yeasts may require more or less and only trial and error will tell you this.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Jocky wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am
How long? is a rather difficult question to answer because it depends upon: ...
A good grub around the Web couldn't come up with the answer either. But as you pointed out, there are so many variables, so if I did find a solution I'd find ten articles ridiculing it. I did conclude I didn't "over-oxygenate", I even found recommendations to support blasts of pure oxygen of 2 minutes. The unusual (for me) speed in establishing fermentation when I first tried it will have been down to unexpected but very effective culturing of the yeast which (for me) was having its maiden run too.

A bit more messing about with pure oxygen should make me more comfortable with it, meanwhile it is going to be difficult to do any harm with it (maybe not impossible if determined). I think this is an important point for anyone thinking of trying pure oxygen. The only easier method than pure oxygen is to do nothing at all and I'm not convinced by the arguments for doing nowt. The stirrers and shakers are probably fine, but those methods are also difficult (impossible) for some.

I don't think you can beat pure oxygen. It's fairly cheap and very quick. You'd need to go out of your way to do any harm to the beer, despite all the scare stories. It may do no good at all, but in the absence of sound reasons not to use pure oxygen using it might equally be doing lots of good. Beats the uncertainties of doing nothing, and the quack cures like dosing with olive oil. It's very little hassle. All-in-all pure oxygen is an easy route to piece of mind.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Test number 2 complete - I tried the racking port without the racking arm installed.

Fail! Just big bubbles again. I think the air stone needs to have a clear vertical run I to the wort to work properly.

I think that I'll either go with a Brewbuilder wand and then wait until I upgrade to a larger fermentation fridge (I can then add on Chronical leg extensions and get rid of the 90 degree angle on the dump valve).

Ian

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Brewbuilder does an airstone which can be fitted to a standard tri clamp flange. I would get one of those, ditch the 3 piece valve and get a butterfly one. Can't see why you need a "U" bend anyway. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:37 pm

orlando wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:43 pm
Brewbuilder does an airstone which can be fitted to a standard tri clamp flange. I would get one of those, ditch the 3 piece valve and get a butterfly one. Can't see why you need a "U" bend anyway. :D
I'll need a bigger fridge for that!...and the conical leg extensions. Excellent - more kit. :D
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I caved and got rid of the 90 degree angle on the conical (I think it had also been giving me issues with dry-hopping).

Used a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter to screw the air stone into the dump valve and it worked a treat.

Brewed an amber ale today and it's already off and bubbling nicely.

Ian

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:30 pm

looks good - did you get a new fridge also? I'm interested in the fridge size as I'm thinking about going Chronical..

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Nope! :) it turned out I had enough space under the valve to screw in the air stone and the barb for CO2 rousing.

But I’m still on the look out for a fridge with a big glass door. Just for ogling purposes!!!!

Ian
Ian

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:03 pm

I have thought of setting up an O2 bottle and stone many times but I've never been convinced that I could keep the stone sanitary.

How are you keeping it clean?

ATB

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:08 pm

After use I drop it into warm water and continue to run some O2 through to "blow" out wort that is lodged in it. On brewday it will go into my usual cleaning solution and end up soaking in Peracetic before use.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 pm

After use I boil my stone/wand in water with citric acid in it. Then I wrap it in cling film ready for next use.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:49 pm

Jocky wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 pm
After use I boil my stone/wand in water with citric acid in it. Then I wrap it in cling film ready for next use.
Ditto , that is also my procedure to boil it again before use to sanitise . Worth mentioning not to touch the stone part of the wand with bare hands .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Lederhosn
Tippler

Post by Lederhosn » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:34 am

IMG-20220213-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20220213-WA0000.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1429 times
Venturi tube + oxygen cylinder works rather well. I have the wort at 5-6C at transfer (lager). To control whether it has the required 7-9 mg/l an Extech DO600 meter is used.

These tubes can be picked up on ebay for a few quid.

I ferment Bavarian Helles at 9C. Good yeast management and oxygenation are crucial for success.
The attachment IMG-20220213-WA0000.jpeg is no longer available
Hope this helps

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:36 am

FUBAR wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:49 pm
Jocky wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 pm
Ditto , that is also my procedure to boil it again before use to sanitise . Worth mentioning not to touch the stone part of the wand with bare hands .
Clean hands are not toxic. Else we would have all been extinct years ago.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:40 am

There is a bug in the current forum software that loses all but the first attachment if you preview it. It looks like the second attachment has been lost this way (I am assuming it was the Venturi tube?). Could you re-attach please?

Out of interest how much did you pay for your meter and was it second hand?