SmartPID - smart temperature controller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:03 pm

i will be getting a 63a supply into there in the near (i hope) future , so the power wont be a problem, but as it will be me wiring the box and not the electrician and i would like to know how its done :oops:

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

That's easier than my way then. Take your live into the the box and split off from it to wherever needs power

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 pm

New major feature for the smartPID temperature controller !

I have implemented on top of the smart thermostat the temperature profile management, something similar to the step mash feature of the brewing app

You can define up to 10 different profiles made by set point, ramp time and soak time than the controller moves linearly the stet-point from one value to another in the defined time so you can control the ramp slope

the soak time calculation has two options

static: soak time starts immediately after the ramp end, regardless the current temperature has reached the new set point

dynamic: soak time starts when the temperature reach set point (like in step mash) and so you have a synchronous process

in this video more details on the profile configuration and execution

this will make the smart thermostat perfect for the fermentation chamber control in case you need to change slowly your set point

hope you like it, any comment appreciated !

Br
Davide

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:18 pm

hi arzaman , ive got the parts needed for starting a control panel build and want to use the smart pid to control my herms rig and pump or possibly my hlt with 2 x elements and a recirc pump . I have ssr's and heatsinks and all the cables etc but im not sure how to setup with 2 ssrs?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:08 pm

if you want to drive both ssrs at the same time then as long as neither pulls more than 50ma to switch you can use the ssr drive terminals to switch both.

however if you wish to switch them independently you can use one of the other 12v dc feeds too, but you may need to roll your sleeves up at the codeface ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Isn't there just one ssr drive ? And how would I know what ampage they pull ?

Fil

Post by Fil » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Haydnexport wrote:Isn't there just one ssr drive ? And how would I know what ampage they pull ?
yes 1 ssr drive with 2x terminals + and - .. however there is also an additional 2 x 12v dc outputs which could be re-purposed to drive ssrs

All the sources are @ the smartpid github repository https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... IXjnUnTE5g

google supplied the following after a quick look for a datasheet on the common 25a fortek ssrs http://www.datasheetspdf.com/PDF/SSR-25DA/789331/1 which indicates @ 12v the switching draw is 7.5ma so with 100ma headroom you can switch way more than 2 x ;)

google to check but if the supply voltage was 3v not 12v then the current draw would be closer to 30ma ..

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 pm

Haydnexport wrote:Isn't there just one ssr drive ? And how would I know what ampage they pull ?
Hi
you have 3 independent output
1 can drive low current load like SSR
other 2 can drive 12V DC 1A load like pump, stirrer , gas valve etc.. but off course cyou can drive another SSR for heavy load
You have also 2 x mechanical relay 220v 10A

the configuration is totally free and you can assign any output to one of the two independent channels

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm

so , could this run / control 3 x elements and 2 x pumps at the same time if they all had sufficient power feeds?

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:54 pm

check out the documents folder in the github repository download for details in setting up and configuring, but yes its Uber versatile, SmartPid undersells the box as a name imho however fully configurable brew-puter doesn't roll of the tongue as easily ;)

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:57 pm

im going to use this in a one vessel system that ive bought off the forum , is it possible to program one or the relays to stop and start at certain intervals during 90 mins? i want to recreate the pause the braumeister does with the pump

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Haydnexport wrote:im going to use this in a one vessel system that ive bought off the forum , is it possible to program one or the relays to stop and start at certain intervals during 90 mins? i want to recreate the pause the braumeister does with the pump
Its Possible.. but according to a quick scan of https://github.com/arzaman/smartPID/blo ... %201.3.pdf (circa page 12,13,14)
The out of the box system allows for manual pump control not automatic (If i read correctly)

And while the document details configuration of the arduino ide to code and compile for the smartpid the sources to hack, hrumph, edit ;) are not linked to.. which make it quite a bit more than a hack n see exercise, more like a complete development from scratch .. perhaps knock up a nodding duck to headbang the pump button every now and again ;)

Mr Uppity

Post by Mr Uppity » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 pm

[quote="Haydnexport"]im going to use this in a one vessel system that ive bought off the forum , is it possible to program one or the relays to stop and start at certain intervals during 90 mins? i want to recreate the pause the braumeister does with the pump[/quote]

It might be advisable to move the temperature sensor thermowell while you are at it.

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Not an ideal all in one box solution but have you considered a 2nd pump controller a $5 sonoff wifi switch could do it out of the box with a quick setup on a smartphone.
or a simple segment timer. While far from elegant solutions both would work while Davide ( @arzaman ) plugs this hole ;)

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 am

Where would I get the Wi-Fi thing from ? And what's the duck thing ? Lol

Edit: move the thetmowell ? Can you explain a little please