SmartPID - smart temperature controller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
arzaman

Re: SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Post by arzaman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Haydnexport wrote:hi Davide , is it possible to program the pump to cycle like the braumeister during the mash?
absolutely yes !
in the proces parameter you can define a pump cycle and pump rest period

more over you can decide if you want the pump active in certain phases like mash in or boil
you can up set a maximum temperature thresold to deactivate pump for safety reason

maximum flexibility !

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:37 am

Also note that when first switched on, the pump cycles on/off a few times to prime the pump/remove any air in pipework.
It can also be manually switched on/off during program by using button on smartpid

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:16 pm

thats amazing , i cant wait to brew with it now, looks like ill haver to buy more smartpid in the future

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:55 pm

new temp sensor from amazon in place and no calibration needed read the same as my 2 other thermometers in ice water and water out of the kettle , (there was a consistent 0.2 degree difference between them , but .2c isnt going to bother me much), my bm clone arrives tomorrow i hope , so i might cobble a wooden stand and wet test it just for a play before i weld a stainless stand either in the week or weekend. 8)

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Haydnexport wrote:my bm clone arrives tomorrow i hope , so i might cobble a wooden stand and wet test it just for a play before i weld a stainless stand either in the week or weekend. 8)
I suggest strongly to run few test with water in order to tune properly the PID parameters, you can also try to use the PID auto tune features but anyway to get good result you need some manual fine tuning. Invest some times and patience and you can reach a really stable and precise control

look forward to see your clone smartPID powered
Davide

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 pm

here it is connected up to test all is working , now to build a stand to hold all components and have a small footprint.

Forgive the wooden stand it was a 5 min jobby :oops: :lol:
IMAG0661.jpg

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 am

Haydnexport wrote:here it is connected up to test all is working , now to build a stand to hold all components and have a small footprint.

Forgive the wooden stand it was a 5 min jobby :oops: :lol:
IMAG0661.jpg
Nice box and set up
If you have internal SSR with heatsink try to add small fan for aeration since inside the box temperature can become very hot
Hope you succeed also to connect to wifi and configure the android app
Tune PID properly (try autotune but manually is best option) and you are ready to brew !

Any feedback is appreciated, and for any issue feel free to contact me for support

Druncan

Post by Druncan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 am

Hi Davide, I was just wondering if anyone has used SmartPid with an Induction Hob? I have a Buffalo CE208 hob and control it with an inkbird but would like to develop a BIAB IH system.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:16 pm

Druncan wrote:Hi Davide, I was just wondering if anyone has used SmartPid with an Induction Hob? I have a Buffalo CE208 hob and control it with an inkbird but would like to develop a BIAB IH system.
I got few request for PID controller of induction heater and I have done some investigation on possibility

If you want to control the induction heater let's say as a normal heater so with ON/OF switching (like inkbird) or maybe with PID /PWM with SSR driving the hater as is I think is possible. Not sure if you can damage the heater switching on and off frequently

competently different story is to control the heater power via proper electronic controller and driver, you need special circuit and power driver to mage high frequency PWM signal.
Currently smartPID don't support this type of driver, I don't exclude in the future to provide some external circuit to mange induction heater reusing all smartPID logic since is a very interesting area

Davide

Druncan

Post by Druncan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank's for the information Davide, cheers!

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Davide

Some of the guys in my club have bought ace all in one brewing system but are not too happy with the brew controller, might be a nice retro fit for smartpid

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/271687277467

It's basically a cheaper grainfather

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi
thank you for notificaiton and advice...indeed already working on it :-)

stay tuned

Davide

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Long time since last post and lot of things happens !
Many homebrewers adopted SmartPID controller and I got lot of feedback that allow me to enhance and improve either HW and SW
Before summer break (at least in north hemisphere it’s summer time !) just few update on the project

Still working on the improvement of the overall quality of the engineering of smartPID and from next batch I'm happy to announce that the front panel has been replaced with a new one.
Not just a graphical and aesthetic review but a different solution. The tactile switch are now internal and on top of the panel a flexible membrane allow to press it.

This provide a very good feeling in operating in smartPID but more important good protection of the inside from splash or particles. Little details but improved in quality and reliability

Biggest news are SW side. As you may have seen the focus on the development now is on the BBQ controller application, with support of few professional pit master now the application is almost complete. Very powerful, feature reach and flexible...I will follow up on this topic and I will start a beta testing campaign after summer break ..stay tuned

The BBQ app give me the chance to talk about another big change in the SW architecture and evolution of SmartPID ecosystem. You know that one of the SmartPID smartest feature is the capability to remote monitor and control your device and process. Currently the smartphone app is available for android only and is based on the public service provided by Thingspeak.

In the BBQ solution I have tested a new technology to implement the remote control and the results are really good and promising

The new technology is based on MQTT subscribe and notify protocol that is becoming a standard for the IoT connected devices and allow me to mange a private server where to develop advanced services
From technical perspective allow me to solve lot of the annoying things to make a device connected via WiFi home router like the dynamic IP address of firewall traversal.

From your end user perspective the initial set up user experience will be simplified, the new app will be very responsive and with possibility to implement also commands and actions.
And finally the technology allow me to implement either native android smartphone app but also web application that you can use in any browser….fixed or mobile..so including tablet or IOS devices.

Have a look to this video that is quite explanatory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTCkl64AQE

In autumn I will retrofit also the smartphone app for hombrewing and smart thermostat and finally implement what you request so many times: full brew day and process remote controls (not only monitors) with full interactions and all the parameters remote control including recipe management

Finally I'm working to other two applications: a complete process controller for malting barley with a micro-malthouse and a spirit distiller controller. Still in a design and concept stage but progressing !

If you are interested there are really few smartPID pieces in the store still at the launch price, next stock available in August

Have a nice holiday and talk to you after summer break with other news and progress !

br
Davide

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:11 am

As usual I’m happy to share with you some news about the project but since Xmas time is approaching I have activated a special promo offer on the online store http://smartpid.com/store, For limited time period you can get for free

-SSR 40 A 24-380V AC with smartPID smart hombrewing app
Or
-Thermocouple K-type adapter with smartPID smart thermostat

Few pieces of the all in one klarstein mash tun retrofit kit are still available

don’t miss out !

coming back to project status update

Smart thermostat K-type support now available, the new SW release can be downloaded in the wiki section of the web site. For upgrade procedure of your smartPID follow instruction on installation and configuration manual

http://smartpid.com/wiki-page/

With this upgrade you can control high temperature process like furnaces , reflow ovens etc and reach 1380C of max temperature
Also the external adapter for the K-type probe connection is now available as optional in the store (free during Xmas promo)
The other big step forward is related to the remote control management, I’m working to a complete re-design of that part introducing a more interactive, user friendly and powerful technology that allow also integration with third party application.

The first application that have been updated is the smart thermostat, the retrofit is now complete and we are testing the android smartphone app that will make the smart thermostat a really smart and unique product ! Here some screenshot preview

Smart Homebrewing application will follow in January and brew day monitor, automation and recipe management will be something really amazing !

I take the opportunity to wish you a happy and peaceful Christmas and I will come back to you next years with lot of smart and exciting project and news
Br
Davide

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi Davide , I'm having issues with the unit freezing again, it's the first time I've used it for at least 6 months, and the issues are the same as before , have you a software update for smartpid?. I'm also having trouble with the app, password not accepted even when i reset the password via the app.