SmartPID - smart temperature controller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
bobsbeer

Re: SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I have one pledged, but with 10 days to go it is only 25% towards target, so looking dodgy this is going to fly. Fingers crossed though as it looks great.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi
short project update for this beginning 2017
Development continue and I'm happy to share a couple of news

From HW perspective I succeed adding an I2C expansion port on the back panel that provides lot of flexibility and expansion capabilities. The port has “grove” pin out and there are lot of sensors and actuators that can be connected.

The other improvement is related to the smartphone app. Lot of enhancement, new layout and now the possibility not only to monitor from remote the process parameter but also to modify the set point

have a look to this short video that show the remote control capabilites

hope you like this enhancement, stay tuned
Davide
arzman engineering

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:39 pm

I see that only 21% of the fund was reached.

I assume that Indiegogo now refund the backers in line with their terms and conditions.

What happens to the SmartPid project?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:25 pm

First of all thanks a lot to all backers and supporter, I'm doing some evaluation and analysis on the crowdfunding result. I will update the community asap, don’t worry and stay tuned :wink:

Davide

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:27 pm

This is a pity as Davide has clearly put a lot of work into the production but also the marketing of the device.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:This is a pity as Davide has clearly put a lot of work into the production but also the marketing of the device.
That’s definitely true !
But all the design and development work as well the MKT campaign should be capitalized some way and not wasted
I just need to reflect on some points and errors, review the roadmap , sit down with manufacturer and try to find some way out to manage small volume production

Davide

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:12 pm

That's good to hear Davide. If you could also minimise the postage cost in this I think you would get some more interest I think it was 18 euro postage for my zone, I would consider that very expensive. Keep up the good work

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:13 pm

perhaps widening the appeal, there is a far less sophisticated temperature controller sold for more cash (in a finished wall mountable box) to turn on and off a central heating system with remote on off and temperature control ;)

perhaps a simple 'NO -diy box cutting' enclosure box inclusion in the package would also interest those with a less hands on approach but are happy to load and program systems via a usb lead ;)

after all it should appeal to the broad spectrum of electronics diy enthusiasts providing an out of the box U/I with screen and buttons neatly packaged in a small form factor with simple plug in and screw down terminals for an array of h/w and sensor connections.
And while most can box thier own i would struggle to fit in a shoe box let alone an stc1000 sized box ;)

dont give up..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 pm

can i still get the smarp pid that i had put money on ? Id rather have it than the refund !

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Haydnexport wrote:can i still get the smarp pid that i had put money on ? Id rather have it than the refund !
I think that you still have to get the refund via the crowd funding people, whether it is automatic or Davide has to press a key I don't know, in my account there is no request refund button.
barneey wrote:If you don't fully fund the campaign, will the Super Early Bird items still be available to purchase to those who already pledged to buy? I assume the 20 units on offer were from the 50 test batch.
I did ask this question a page or so ago.

EDIT I would hope also the price to be lower without the crowdfunder 5 / 10% markup?

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Thank you for your pretious feedback , I reply to all points and I'm open to any discussion since it helps me to be more focused after the campaing result

@dbambrick996
I understand you point of view but in Italy we say “it's not gold everything shining”
I had various e-commerce experience and I have learn one things : keep the postage as lower as possible. I have a simple policy: not recharge shipping , just ask for the bare cost.
I can assure you that 18E comes from a careful evaluation with my fulfillment partner
consider that
-Indiegogo apply fees (10% !!) also on shipping ..crazy
-I have to mange 22% VAT
-Shipping from Italy is not as cheep as from other countries..we are south Europe :-(
-On indigo I can't define cost per single countries so I did an average and there are places in EU where I lose some money
-I only use top Currier (UPS, FedEx, DHL) with tracking and NO postal service
-Packaging costs around 1.5 E (for 1000 pieces box)
-Fulfillment and handling and storehouse has a cost

@fil
price point off course has been one of my big challenge and internal discussion/decision

I can assure you that SmartPID is a “masterpiece” of engineering , very powerful (I don't want to list again all the features) but very complex to produce from industrial point of view (3 PCBs with SMD and through hole components on all side) with top hithec components very expensive. Just an example..the superb OLED display costs 8USD even if you order 1000pcs… the plastic box costs 6E..and so on. No way to reduce component costs. Assembly cost depends mostly from scale volume and country. I have again used the hard way..produce in Italy and low volume.

One of my thoughts now is that SmartPID maybe is too “over sized” ...too smart...to powerful … to big… but it's what I have in my mind and what comes from years of experience and prototype.
I try to put inside all what I think it's needed ..for homebrewing but not only… It's non a project done on the paper but comes from 20 years brewing experience and other projects like ardbir etc..
An the result is something unique..no other similar object on the market

Maybe the mistake has been to compare SmartPID with other low cost thermostat… has nothing to do with that devices...the comparison in theory should be with professional controller or PLC

Than off course all this power is not needed to control a mashing or a home made fermentation chamber with a fridge and an heater… I can't convince people that feel comfortable in their hobby with STC1000...so my idea to push for retrofit “stupid” STC1000 and make the brewhouse smart partially fails

alternative approach and solutiosn ?
Fully boxed solution with enclosure … yes this is quite a common request but customize and assemble a box has BIG impact on production cost even using a standard box. A custom box is not affordable also for big volume. If I go for a complete new box I can totally relax the smartPID engineering that has been designed to fit STC1000 box (and has been the most complex part of the project)

about the competitors honestly I don't see so may “smart box” on the market with cheep price...If I look to the well known homebrewing devices like brewpi, brewtroller, fermostat etc… are more expensive and with less features

If you look for some professional PID controller like brewing solutions the price is even higer and are not smart

if you know other comparable boxes let me know happy to evaluate and compare

@Haydnexport
short answer is YES , as I wrote few times I have produced with my own risk (and payed in some way the fixed costs) 50pieces, part of them are for the beta testing program, the rest I would like to distribute with fair price starting from the super early bird bakers and so on
How and when I let you know..hw is ready , I have to wait for box front panel, assemble, pack, load SW , test etc… around one moth (the time for the super eary bird offer)

@barneey
this is an important point that must be clear !!
refund will be done automatically by INDIEGOGO… I didn't receive any money and all is manged by them. The help page reports 5-7 business date.

https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/ ... -My-Money-

Price for the pre production unit. Barneey you want to kill me… you are right I save 10% indiegogo fee but I have to pay paypal bla bla… I try to be honest and fair and apply the right discount but I have at least to cover the direct production costs !

Sorry for the long mail but it helps also me to “rationalize” my thoughts

Davide

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Part of the problem might also have been the newly available Grainfather Controller, I would imagine GF users have gone down the "official" upgrade route rather than the 3rd party option.

+ the € to £ is crap ATM.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:47 pm

barneey wrote:Part of the problem might also have been the newly available Grainfather Controller, I would imagine GF users have gone down the "official" upgrade route rather than the 3rd party option.

+ the € to £ is crap ATM.
I think I have already posted my opinion on th GF controller..smartPID has not been designed and is not thought as an alternative to GF controller.
It's an option , if someone want to perform the retrofit (I have done..) you gain a lot of benefit and you have much more than the GF controller but should be fool my side to think to be better or more attractive than the original controller
SmartPID in my original idea was for the “others” the one that has no a commercially available automation controller...but probably I was wrong and the demand of automation and “smart” feature was not so high...or at least not so strong to support a project by crowdfunding (that is totally different story than buy off the shelf)

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Indiegogo just sent back my money. Shame. I was looking forward to playing with this unit. Good luck in the future.

Fil

Post by Fil » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Same here ;( if any of the pre production run are still available please think of me ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(