SmartPID - smart temperature controller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
TheFlatulentCow

Re: SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Post by TheFlatulentCow » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:47 pm

There was an 80 euro early bird and an 85 euro super early bird. Do you know which you went for? Should be able to check from your emails and the page is still up on the site.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:50 pm

i went for the super early bird February delivery

*Edit , ive been given the link by someone on pm so i have managed to actually buy one , bit of a bummer that i'd ordered an inkbird pid yeasterday off the auction site #-o

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 am

Thank you for interest/support/enthusiasm !

The invitation has been sent to all former Indiegogo backers , I just collect all the email of the campaign
Anyway I have still few unit in stock and the new small batch in production and I’m going to open the store next days so don’t warry

Special thanks to Chris , He is one of the most active beta tester and did a really great job with lot of precious feedback either on current solution and new features/enhancement

Stay tuned
Davide

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:29 pm

YIPPEE!!, A grumpy but efficient DHL driver just dropped off the magic box.

1st impression after ripping open, WOW the back of the unit is totally populated with well labeled i/o connections for NTC or Ds18b20 temp probes, a grove i2c socket, a 100ma 12v ssr drive connection 2 x 12v 1a switched supplies and 2x 10a 220v a/c relays ..
as an arduino etc dabbler i am in awe of how much i/o there is here ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:07 pm

YIPPEE!!, A grumpy but efficient DHL driver just dropped off the magic box.

1st impression after ripping open, WOW
This rewards me of lot of effort and investment, lot of night and week end spent working to the project..thank you for your first impression

download the user manual and installation an con fig manual
download the smartphone app from google play
connect at least a sensor and a load on 12v (bulb light)
and start playing

Since you seem arduino fan remember that project is open source, on GitHub you have all the driver and info element...you can start thinkering and build your application !

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Thingspeak graph showing temperature during my first smartpid brew day.
Screenshot_20170213-071139.png
With a bit of simple html editing in thingspeak you can add other visualisations.
20170314_161929.png
Screenshot_20170314-161619.png

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Thingspeak it's a really nice platform with lot of potentiality !!

the idea to use that service is driven by the fact that is free, well documented, and very powerfull…
not only display and graph but you can
-elaborate data with all the power of matlab
-generate trigger and action (we use this in the app for twitter notification)

don't forget also the app..it conencts thingspeak and retrieve data and allow you to monitor proces on your smartphone as well set the temperature or arm some alarms !

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Just a shame the app can't show timer or get push notifications of alarms. These would make it a lot more useable during a brewday

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 pm

chris246810 wrote:Just a shame the app can't show timer or get push notifications of alarms. These would make it a lot more useable during a brewday
Yes Chris we have discussed with you a lot possible improvement of the app and I can assure there is a road-map on it

about graph visualization we are working to a solution where with a tap you can expand full screen the graph

about the possibility to have not just monitor and set point change but full configuration of parameter and recipe (and import from other sw) or the possibility to have all brew day workflow indication it's feasible but we need to address some point
don't want to bother homebrewer with technical stuff but I have to decide
-direct smartphone connection vs client server
-Private IP management (NAT)
-Dynamic IP management
-Firewalling
-Native app (also for IOS) vs Web application

consider that the controller is based on a micro “ardunino” with limited resources and implementing a full web server or complex capability is very tricky

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Yea I know we've discussed this quite a bit, just reiterating the point as I think from an end-user point of view, these are the kind of features which will make people dig deep and go for it.
With a bit of work on the app, smartpid could easily be the best homebrewing controller on the market.
Absolutely can't fault the hardware, your programming of it and your dedication to making improvements to it.

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Good idea to enable an enlarged graph, an adjustable X axis would also be useful too, so you could show a graph for the last 10 minites/ 1 hour/ 5 hours etc

TheFlatulentCow

Post by TheFlatulentCow » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:43 pm

I've also received my SmartPID today. It's very professional looking well built bit of kit. I was shocked at how much is possible with something so compact. Looking forward to getting this integrated into the brewery. I hope you still have plans to somehow get this into production because I will definitely be buying at least another one if you do.

One quick question, my HLT has 2 elements in it. In order to control both elements at the same time, is it ok to split the SSR 12v switching feed and connect up 2 seperate SSR's (one for each element)?

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Yep, that's how I have mine. Two ssrs feeding two elements from the one ssr output. I just put extra hardware switches to turn on and off each element as needed

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:10 pm

chris246810 wrote:Yep, that's how I have mine. Two ssrs feeding two elements from the one ssr output. I just put extra hardware switches to turn on and off each element as needed

any chance you can post a picture or diagram of this setup ? i was hoping to run mine the same.

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:18 pm

16587340_962023443927987_1180221785380121441_o.jpg