SmartPID - smart temperature controller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
arzaman

SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Post by arzaman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 pm

Dear Homebrewing friends I continue in this thread in order to highlight main SmartPID features and functions and collect your feedback during the project

Before entering technical details few words about the “philosophy” and idea behind the project

When I start designing the SmatPID I try to capture some requirements and functionalities that are actually not present in low cost thermostat like STC1000 and are more typical in the professional control device (PLC) but at the same time I put lot of effort to keep it simple, accessible, affordable for a consumer market and DIY enthusiast

apart form the core temperature control features (PID/PWM etc..) indeed very advanced and powerful t the main innovation I have introduced that make SmartPID unique are

Full process automation

Thanks to the power of the platform it's possible to develop custom application that needs process control with complex service logic and manage a complete workflow.
Basic thermostat just simply ready temperature and control a relay according to set point..In smartPID you can program steps, ramps, triggers, alarms and manage complex temperature profile over the time.
Typical example is food processing like beer brewing, cheese making or food drying where according to specific recipe parameters the heating process should be managed step by step controlling and orchestrating different elements (heater, pump, fan..)

Data logging and export (USB & wifi)
The possibility to log all process data and analyse real time or off line is another typical feature that is available only on professional devices or with external data logger.
SmartPID has an internal 8Mbit EEPROM where all the process data (temperature, set point, PWM power, control direction etc,,) are logged and can be accessed either locally via USB and a desktop application (CSV export) or remotely pushed via wifi connection to a cloud server.

WiFi connectivity for remote management and IoT cloud integration
Wifi connectivity and cloud integration is what make SmartPID really smart !
Small wifi optional module is integrated in the SmarPID box and once connected to the wifi access the device can provide lot of new feature
remote management → configuration and control of setup parameter and process parameter from any location via web or smartphone
data logg→ real time monitoring of main process parameter and storage in the cloud server
for the development and design phase the thingspeak cloud service has been used , a private cloud server will be deployed after project founding

DIN Box
Another key driver for the design was the “box size” and we decide to use a standard DIN box in order to make SmartpID ultra compact and backward compatible with STC1000 like thermostat, you can just unplug your current controller and plug SmartPID to get the new full set of features
Engineering all the HW to support the new features has been very challenging but the result is a very powerful platform with powerful CPU, lot of memory and I/O capabilities that is the base line for developing powerful applications

Arduino Compatibility
Last but not least important driver was to keep as much as possible the platform open and easy programmable so the natural choice was to do development under Arduino umbrella. The component selection like the MCU (SAMD21 arduino Zero and MKR1000 IoT new board) and the architure are fully arduino compatible. I have developed a custom bootloader and specific board definition that can be imported in the Arduino IDE so you can just connect SmartPID via USB port to your PC and develop you sketch using the arduino tool-chain and all the supported libraries.

Let’s now have an overview to HW and core features

HW configuration

-SAMD21 processor ARM cortex M0+
-8Mbit EEPROM for data log, recipe storage etc..
-1.3” OLED graphical display
-USB front port for programming, SW upgrade, data logging
-4 tactile switch to navigate trough menu
-1x Buzzer
-Jtag/SWD port
-WIFI module (detachable)
-110/220 V AC power supply
-2x temp probe input (DS18B20 or NTC)
-2x 220v AC 10A Relay output
-1x SSR output
-2x 12V 1A direct drive output

The core control functions are

ImageImageImage

-DUAL Independent control channel
-Multi control mode (heating , cooling or thermostatic)
-Dual control algorithm (PID or ON/OFF)

Is this little box powerful, flexible, smart enough for your applications ?

Next posts try to go in detail of major functions and remote management part
Any feedback is appreciated !

Arzaman
http://smartpid.com
https://www.facebook.com/smartPID

demig
Hollow Legs

Re: SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Post by demig » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Looks fantastic, really like the graph on the unit itself and the WiFi connectivity. I love the ability to monitor the braumeister via WiFi. Foob4r has this and it's very handy to keep an eye on things remotely whilst prepping or cleaning equipment.
Also like the 2 temperature probes on this unit.

When it comes to programming the unit how much is going to be pre done and how much actual coding will be required. I'm thinking of the stc1000+ where programming can be loaded via arduino but it also has a nice Web front end to upload the different fermentation control parameters.

How many recipes can it store and can they be named or are they numbered?

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:42 pm

demig wrote:Looks fantastic, really like the graph on the unit itself and the WiFi connectivity. I love the ability to monitor the braumeister via WiFi. Foob4r has this and it's very handy to keep an eye on things remotely whilst prepping or cleaning equipment.
Also like the 2 temperature probes on this unit.
thank you for your comment...indeed you have much more !
When it comes to programming the unit how much is going to be pre done and how much actual coding will be required. I'm thinking of the stc1000+ where programming can be loaded via arduino but it also has a nice Web front end to upload the different fermentation control parameters.

How many recipes can it store and can they be named or are they numbered?
Let’s clarify this point
Depends on what do you mean “programming”

I would prefer to say configure…like all the controller you have to set parameter trough menu like HW configurations, processes parameter…or in the brewing application recipe
In most of the case you have to do once, unless you change your set up. here some menu example (from basic app)

ImageImageImageImage

If for programming you mean writing code for your own specific application…as an example a pot still controller, you are free to do since as I worte the sytem is open and Arduino programmable. In that case you need deep programming skill for embedded system !

About sw applications:

Basic application is the “thermostat” application with all the features and functions reported on the web site. This is the base line, is the STC1000++++ , no specific process control but lot of features

Than I’m going to develop 3 specific applications

ImageImageImage
  • HomeBrewing , basically BIAB/RIMS full process automation with recipe management etc etc (ardbir like). App ready end of October
    BBQ controller for charcoal temperature controller
    Food Dehydrator controller
Changing from one app to another is like coping the executable file via USB in a memory stick

More clear now?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:05 am

a Nice out of the box solution, but if a little soldering and coding is in your skill set

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

add the arduino pid lib and either a MQTT or http interface and add a chain of however many DS18B20 temperature sensors you want off the spare gpio pin.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:27 am

The SmartPID looks great. I suspect it all hangs on the price point.... the reason I don't have a BrewPi or networked SG monitor purely revolves around the hassle (of doing everything manually) vs cost balance. Good luck with it all - impressive.

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:32 am

Fil wrote:a Nice out of the box solution, but if a little soldering and coding is in your skill set

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

add the arduino pid lib and either a MQTT or http interface and add a chain of however many DS18B20 temperature sensors you want off the spare gpio pin.
No coding at all ! no soldering !
just connect power , your load , configure the HW set up...

about wifi connection and remote control we are working on different integration , up to now with Thingspeak with universal Json/rest API but also with MQTT broker

and everhting will be easy, hassle free...loging on a web page or dowoload the app ..put your wifi pwd and security key and that's all

stay tuned
arzaman

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:38 am

I'd echo Ben's comment here - looks a very interesting prospect depending on the pricing that you can do all this for. Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks for the updated details looks even more impressive. Configuration looks very easy, that screen certainly makes it easy to display settings sensibly.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Would really like a turn key temperature controller and logger. I look forward to hearing more about it.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

donnyo
Tippler

Post by donnyo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:09 pm

Very excited about this, for lots of reasons; as mentioned above data logging, remote connectivity and control and multiple devices at once, and the GUI looks cool too.
Would love to see the relays upgraded from 10A to 20A so they could drive 3Kw (@230-240V = c.13A) heating elements directly- my current Tempmate PID is 16A.
Would also be interested if Raspberry Pi is on the horizon too a
Just dreaming here...I suppose this could monitor and control multiple vessels and open & close motorised valves and pumps then wake me up gently to tell me it's ready for me to do something ...

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:02 pm

donnyo wrote:Very excited about this, for lots of reasons; as mentioned above data logging, remote connectivity and control and multiple devices at once, and the GUI looks cool too.
Would love to see the relays upgraded from 10A to 20A so they could drive 3Kw (@230-240V = c.13A) heating elements directly- my current Tempmate PID is 16A.
for very high load you can use SSR (solid state relay) and you can connect one for each channel so no problem at all
Would also be interested if Raspberry Pi is on the horizon too a
Just dreaming here...I suppose this could monitor and control multiple vessels and open & close motorised valves and pumps then wake me up gently to tell me it's ready for me to do something ...
no dream only reality

the BIAB app will come with
-mashing and HLT for sparging independent control (either gas fired or electrc)
-direct drive of 12V pump (topsflow or solar project)

Here the typical setup with MASH+HLT+PUMP control

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:08 pm

One of the key characteristic of SmartPID is the flexibility and versatility trough HW set up SmartPID can be adapted to mange different applications

below some example to illustrater the flexibilty

Single channel - PID (on/off) control mode - heating + pump

SmartPID reads temperature from 1 probe and drive the heating element in order to get the setup temeprature

Possible heating output configurations

SSR for electric heating [PID+PWM control algorithm]
220V AC relay for electric heating [ON/OFF algorithm]
Direct solenoid valve drive for GAS heating [ON/OFF algorithm]
Manually drive the PUMP (soft switch) with tow possible configurations

220V AC realy pump drive
12V DC direct pump drive

DUAL channel - PID (on/off) control mode - heating (gas or electric)

SmartPID reads temperature from 2 probe and drive 2 heating element idipendently in order to get 2 different set up temperature

1 x SSR for electric heating [PID+PWM control algorithm]
1 x 12V direct solenoid valve drive for GAS heating [ON/OFF algorithm]
Manually drive the PUMP (soft switch) with tow possible configurations

220V AC realy pump drive
12V DC direct pump drive

DUAL channel – ON/OFF control mode – thermostatic

SmartPID reads temperature from 1 probe and drive one heating element and one cooling element in order to keep temperature stable (fermentation chamber)

220V AC relay for electric heating [ON/OFF algoritm]
220V AC relay for electric heating [ON/OFF control algorithm]

so as you can see the possibility of configuration are really endless !

staty tuned
arzaman

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:48 pm

I have prepared a feature comparison table between SmartPID and most common used thermostat

As you can easily see...there's no match :-(

When I complete the table I realize that comparing a fully programmable device with process automation capabilities and smart features like wifi and IoT capabilities with a thermostat maybe is not the right approach but at least once more you have the full feature list of the BASIC application !

something missing or more ?

arzman
https://www.facebook.com/smartPID

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Looking forward to it Davide, how's the software side coming along?

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

arzaman

Post by arzaman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:08 pm

demig wrote:Looking forward to it Davide, how's the software side coming along?
sorry for my poor english but I don't understand your question... :?