Connectors - Cam & Groove, Tri Clamp or other?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ciderhead
Piss Artist

Re: Connectors - Cam & Groove, Tri Clamp or other?

Post by ciderhead » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:39 pm

I use large nylon ties instead of jubilee clips, they work just as well just a pliers to really pull them tight.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:02 am

At our low pressures, IMO the hose-clip would ideally be there just to help prevent the hose being tugged off the barb, rather than to make the seal; if that is so then a variety of methods will work fine (in some cases they may not even be needed).

This does rely on the hose and barb sizes being paired properly, though - they should be a snug fit such that the hose seals on the barb directly - even before any clamp. This prevents wort creeping into crevices between hose and barb. If the barb is long enough, it also means that hose-clamps (such as jubilee clips) which may not give an even pressure on the hose and/or which may distort its roundness, don't cause leaks.

Its easier to achieve with stretchy tubing (such as silicone) than thin or less flexible types, or those which go loose and floppy under heat (such as the poly stuff).
Kev

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:57 am

Hogarth wrote:
barneey wrote: In order of the strongest seal

1) Tri-clover (clamp) = 10 points
2) C&G = 5 points
3) QD = 3 points
So are Cam & Groove and Quick Disconnects liable to leak? Doesn't that rather defeat the point of them? :?
Not had a leak with C&G. As mentioned above they're specced for gas connections (in military applications I think).

Can't speak for QD.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Kev888 wrote: I tried a few QDs of various kinds and personally don't rate them quite as highly for reliability, though they can't be beaten for convenience, so swings and roundabouts IMO.
The ones I have from Brewbuilder have never leaked, one of the best bits of kit I have.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 am

This lot of ¾" Camlock turned up today. They're quite chunky!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers,

Bob.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Obviously purchase made - however to add 2p and based on nearly 30 years practical experience.
In the Chemicals industry, cam locks are widely used (typically 2-4") for general liquid transfers, rarely for gas where connectable jointed hoses are typically replaced by flanged joints. However in pharma, triclover/tri lamp are industry standard. one reason is clean-ability, the second is that there are lots of cases of failure of cam locks due to one arm getting snagged or just not being fully home (normally due to the keyring!). If I were choosing, it would be triclover all the time even though it is accepted that jointing is a two-handed job. If the closure doesn't fit easily, it's wrong and will leak. if it snaps shut, it will only leak if the gasket is compromised, and that is MUCH easier to determine than with cam lock which are buried in the end of the nozzle, behind which you can't clean without joining out the gasket which always involves the risk of damage (which you don't get with triclover). Triclover, though are heavier and generally more expensive.

However, at our level where we can spend (even begrudgingly) time dissembling and cleaning both are viable.

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)