Electronic valve

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Electronic valve

Post by Secla » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Does anyone know of an electronic valve for liquid that could be operated with an stc200 or similar ?

bobsbeer

Re: Electronic valve

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:24 pm

You could use an electronic ball valve. They come in different methods of actuation, but the most common is normally closed and open when they get a trigger signal voltage. Most work with 12v, but you can get some that work with other voltages. As long as you maintain the power, the valve stays open. Cut the power and it will close. I have 7 in my brewery. Mine are like THIS, although I got mine from China which is you want a few is the cheapest place to get them.

Secla

Post by Secla » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:06 pm

I only want 2, have a maxi to cool fermenters and want to be able to control 2 from 1 cooler

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:18 pm

washing machine inlet valves? check the local fly tipping hotspots for a cheap source
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Secla

Post by Secla » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 pm

These seem perfect http://www.solenoid-valve.world/by-mate ... -fit-valve

Come with 3/8 push fit so can use beer line hose, what operating voltage will I need for use with stc200 ?

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:05 pm

If you are using mains pressure water then solenoids are perfect, and cheap. They don't work at low pressure, so for my application ball valves were the only option.

Secla

Post by Secla » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Ok that may be a problem ! The water will be from the python pump looped on a maxi cooler, being that it's a loop there may not be enough pressure !

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Give a solenoid a try, but I think you won't have enough pressure to make it work. They need a reasonable back pressure to work, and I very much doubt your python pump would be enough. A solenoid is only around £5 on ebay, so worth a shot, compared to ball valve prices.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am

Solenoid valves can be good and tend to be available cheaper than motorised types, some are also food grade for use in vending machines etc. But not all are equal: they can have tiny internal orifices (e.g. a couple of mm, much smaller than the inlet/outlet port may indicate), some may need significant pressure, and others may overheat if not rated for continuous use. So if buying several it would probably pay to check such things IMO.

Unfortunately I didn't find that easy and kind of lost the will, when looking for a budget one a while ago, though that one linked to above looks more promising than many. Most cheap washing machine types are sold only by replacement/compatible part number rather than any published specification. And many sellers of other cheap types (on ebay, amazon etc) don't know what the internal orifice size is, or else conveniently confuse it with the inlet/outlet port diameter. I may have been better off working via the manufacturers, rather than third-party salesmen who knew diddly squat.
Kev

BAZZAMART

Post by BAZZAMART » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi I'm barry Williams new in the I used to be a designer at gkn sankey on keg washing and filling machines
if anyone wants help on solenoid valves or actuated valve please contact me

cheers

barry

BAZZAMART

Post by BAZZAMART » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:53 pm

hello
what is the medial type ?
the working pressure and temperature through the valve ?
the application ?

and the voltage available ?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am

you can find solanoid valves that operate at low pressure on ebay, just search with the term gravity fed and ensure they operate from 0psi back pressure.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-DC-12V-E ... OSwU-pXssn~
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am

you can find solanoid valves that operate at low pressure on ebay, just search with the term gravity fed and ensure they operate from 0psi back pressure.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-DC-12V-E ... OSwU-pXssn~

simple test is when they arrive if you can open the valve with a 9v battery and blow through the open valve they will let water with a nominal head pass ok the ones that require 0.02psi back pressure will turn you blue in the face when set to open if you try to blow through the 'open' passage..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(