Kegkingdom brewpump 3000

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Kegkingdom brewpump 3000

Post by dbambrick996 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Firstly, thanks to Matt from KegKingdom for sending the pump and offering the 5% discount.

After using a good few solar pumps and not being satisfied with A. performance and B. durability I started looking for alternative mains power pumps.
I wanted something that would be robust and have a good flow rate. By the time I stopped flaffing around and trying cheaper options I could have bought a chugger. Luckily I was able to get my hands on a second hand chugger and this is the business if not overkill for what I use it for, but its better to have and not want and all that.

When looking for mains powered pumps I was considering getting the grainfather pump, but could only get these from China, didn't want to take the gamble with import duties or if the pump arrived dead or developed an issue. The one I was most interested in was the MKII high Temp pump from KegKing, but I could only get these from Austrailia. These pumps have great reviews.

While browsing for kegging gear i came across the brewpump 3000 and it looks identical to the Kegking MKII pump. After contacting Matt from Kegkindom kindly sent me the brewpump 3000 for review.

The pump arrived well packed. I got it delivered to parcelmotel, it was a medium sized package. After unpacking the pump my first impressions were that it was a solid pump, great build quality. There are no exposed areas on this pump so no need to worry about spilling liquid on it and there is a good weight to it about 1.5kg and solid. Overall very impressed with look and feel.

Some unpacking picks attached, pics 1 to 3.
Image 5 is a side by side with the chugger. Chugger is heavier due to the body and stainless head, and it is bit fatter, ohhhh.

Down to performance.
All I can say is that this pump is a beast. I was very very surprised and impressed with the flow rate and performance. At 19L/M it is not far off the chugger performance, it shifts a lot of liquid (rated to 120 degrees) and can be totally chocked back by attaching a ball valve to the pump outlet. It is very quite in operation, you can barely hear it, but one of the things I love about the chugger is the reassuring sound that it makes when it is on.

I opened the pump and the impeller is the same as the topsflo TS5, see pic 6 and 7.
The vital information is in pic 8.
Pic 9 sees the pump with some fittings and ready for action. The bsp fittings were a very tight fit so watch the threads.
Pic 10 is the pump in place with my system. I did a brew day with it and it performed great. I had a total balls up of a brew day with a stuck mash, grain over flowed into the kettle from the malt pipe but the pump kept going.

Here is a quick vid of the flow rate and flow rate control.

https://youtu.be/5ZCXCyzR6_E

I did a quick whirlpool test and chucked a cup full of grain in. Whirlpool started off well but died off near the end. I thought the pump had clogged and was a bit pissed but it had pulled the grain through the ball valve outlet on the kettle so fast that it clogged my tap, I opened the pump and there was no grain in it. A guick blow on the pipe and the ball valve unclogged.
Quick vid of the whirlpool

https://youtu.be/1jEKxvxH8Qw

I will try and do a post of a complete brew day with the pump, but from my initial tests this is a great magnetic drive pump, not much dearer than a ts5, with performance not quite chugger but not far off, It is very quiet in operation for those indoor, in the house brewers.

If you are considering a pump I would highly recommend this pump. It costs slightly more than the topsflo ts5 from brewbuilder or angelhomebrew but is a far superior pump and is roughly a third of the price of a chugger,

Future tests will be trying to clog the pump with pellet hop .
I will empty a 25 litre kettle with the chugger and do the same test with the brewpump 3000, and time both to see how they go.

Any other tests you want carried out, let me know and I will try to get around to it.

Link to the pump
http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/products/brew-pump-3000
Cheers
Attachments
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
Last edited by dbambrick996 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Re: Kegkingdom brewpump 3000

Post by dbambrick996 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:01 pm

More Pics
Attachments
10.JPG
9.JPG
8.JPG
7.JPG
6.JPG

ayepee
Tippler

Post by ayepee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks for the review. I have been looking for a suitable pump for whirlpooling and have just about decided on one of these (just waiting for enough beer tokens)

I await you test with pellet hops as this will be what I want one for.

ps - couldn't find the links to you vids

Regards - Tony

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:44 pm

ayepee wrote:
I await you test with pellet hops as this will be what I want one for.

ps - couldn't find the links to you vids

Regards - Tony
Links updated, I will try and do the hop pellet test this weekend

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:14 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:
The vital information is in pic 8.
Pic 9 sees the pump with some fittings and ready for action. The bsp fittings were a very tight fit so watch the threads.
Pic 10 is the pump in place with my system. I did a brew day with it and it performed great. I had a total balls up of a brew day with a stuck mash, grain over flowed into the kettle from the malt pipe but the pump kept going.

The first BSP fittings tried here were also tight, but the pump's thread size appears good. My female BSP fittings had internal protrusions needing a larger internal inlet and outlet diameter to get more than a single or part turn. Your above picture shows the substantial wall thickness of the pump inlet. Fortunately only some of my fittings cause this problem.

The pump unrestrained is more powerful than the filters in both my MT and boiler can cope with, so a ball valve on the output does appear essential and as you show gives total contol of flow without any fear of stalling.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

VesPacelli
Sober

Post by VesPacelli » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks for the detailed review. I've bought one to replace my topsflo ts5 wort pump.

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Did a hop test today. I chucked 325 grams of old pellets into 32l of water and whirlpooled for 40 minutes. The pump made light work of it
https://youtu.be/C3-g4FWUyEw

And the results