Upgrade - advice needed please

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
k1100t
Piss Artist

Re: Upgrade - advice needed please

Post by k1100t » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:33 pm

I've been looking on ebay.fr for stockpots, but can't find any either. They all appear to be 15L or smaller. I certainly haven't been able to find any Bergland ones.

I did find these on both ebay.co.uk and ebay.fr though.

Cheers,

Bob.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Failing direct buys from europe, places like brewbuilder and hop and grape do 33L stock pots from about £45 plus postage. Brewbuilder also does thicker pans if you preferred.
Kev

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:18 pm

orlando wrote:
mozza wrote:Where's the cheapest place to buy a 30-35 litre stock pot? Looking on eBay but not a lot on there?
I'm good with DIY so tempted to assemble everything myself
Did you not see this from fil?
buying the stockpots direct from the ebay.fr suplier will save you a lot of cash(50-60%) catering-portal.bergland@msg.afterbuy.de , though you will need to fit your own tap if needed.
I did mate but I couldn't get the link to work?
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 pm

mozza wrote:
I did mate but I couldn't get the link to work?
It's an email address. Ask them for a price for what you want.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Ah! Apologies! Will do!
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:05 pm

If you buy from the ebay.fr seller, its worthwhile opening the box and checking the pots condition quickly before signing.
Even if the delivery guy protests, while there isnt a problem getting an exchange if the pot is damaged in transit (wee dings are acceptable and easily popped out) when photos are sent with an email request.
But simply refusing deliver can cut a week out of the rigmaroll of arranging collection etc.. Fwiw i have bought a few times and had a little problem once, it was sorted without hassle, just involved a delay while the problem pot was collected and returned before its replacement was sent out..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Fil wrote:If you buy from the ebay.fr seller, its worthwhile opening the box and checking the pots condition quickly before signing.
Even if the delivery guy protests, while there isnt a problem getting an exchange if the pot is damaged in transit (wee dings are acceptable and easily popped out) when photos are sent with an email request.
But simply refusing deliver can cut a week out of the rigmaroll of arranging collection etc.. Fwiw i have bought a few times and had a little problem once, it was sorted without hassle, just involved a delay while the problem pot was collected and returned before its replacement was sent out..
Will do cheers mate.

Got a quote for a 33L pot at £37.76 including delivery and a 50L pot at £46.46 very impressed.

If I was going to build the boiler myself then I'd need some high quality elements nice and cheap. Are there any cheap stainless LWD elements out there. If not then I'll probably bite the bullet and go for something from mrlard
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Fil

Post by Fil » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:58 pm

for a budget option i do like the cheap n cheerful ebay 1.5kw replacement kettle elements even though they have skyrocketed in price since i bought a couple. open framed makes then far easier to clean back to shiney than a tightly spiralled kettle element, and they may be classified as lwd? lower power so you may need 3x or 4x, but that adds redundancy and simple power control too..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... SwMgdXyedo
they were less than £4 a pop ....

the simple plastic backing shroud is a very effective solution too and the supplied gaskets are ideal for fitting in a ss pot wall.

After way to many bad buys i ended up buying mrlards nice lwd brewing elements for my large 98l pots.

However i brewed very happily with 2x tesco budget kettle elements in a 50l ex mango chutney barrel for a long while the only gripe with the elements was the cleaning back to shiney which was only 3-4minutes per element with a kitchen scrubby asap post boil..

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Fil wrote:for a budget option i do like the cheap n cheerful ebay 1.5kw replacement kettle elements even though they have skyrocketed in price since i bought a couple. open framed makes then far easier to clean back to shiney than a tightly spiralled kettle element, and they may be classified as lwd? lower power so you may need 3x or 4x, but that adds redundancy and simple power control too..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... SwMgdXyedo
they were less than £4 a pop ....

the simple plastic backing shroud is a very effective solution too and the supplied gaskets are ideal for fitting in a ss pot wall.

After way to many bad buys i ended up buying mrlards nice lwd brewing elements for my large 98l pots.

However i brewed very happily with 2x tesco budget kettle elements in a 50l ex mango chutney barrel for a long while the only gripe with the elements was the cleaning back to shiney which was only 3-4minutes per element with a kitchen scrubby asap post boil..
Cheers They're definitely an option.

Did come across these, not sure if they would be any good?
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Could be V nice- easy to clean when that shape, trying to decide whether the density is higher than the other elements though. I've also got the 1.5kW jobbies in my boiler (two of them). Some Ebay suppliers have them on still for about 6 quid.

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:45 pm

You could always modify a Backer immersion heater element and fit it to the pot with a mechanical flange. Pick up a porcelain connector at the same time, for connecting your heat resistant flex once you've removed the thermostat and away you go. The only downside, is they require a very large hole...

Cheers,

Bob.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 am

BenB wrote:Could be V nice- easy to clean when that shape, trying to decide whether the density is higher than the other elements though. I've also got the 1.5kW jobbies in my boiler (two of them). Some Ebay suppliers have them on still for about 6 quid.
Do they look quite smart? Looking at them can you plug a 3 pin cable straight into them?

That's my issue with the U-shaped jobbies, I'm not brilliant with electrics so how easy would it be to wire them up and make it look like a neat job? Also with there being only two pins how would you connect the earth?
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Fil

Post by Fil » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:42 am

just like a light bulb Live Or neutral can be attached to either terminal. And if using a metal boil pot you can earth the pot itself, probably easiest to trap a crimped Large eyelet under one of the retaining nuts.

I would also consider using crimped on eyelets to make the live and neutral connections.

fwiw i have bought a couple of ebay china U elements, both arrived as described and unlike some of my bad element punts were indeed contained within SS tube. the project i bought em for never floated so i cant comment on lifespan.

To cover the electrics i wouldnt try capturing a covering box with the element retaining nuts, tricky to seal and a knock of the box could break a seal. if you dont have thread to add a further nut to secure a backing box i would consider epoxying the box to the pot with jbweld or similar.

fwiw i found 3/8" pvc siphon tube to be a nice snug fit over the isolating ceramic terminal bases if you felt further isolation necessary.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:54 am

Fil wrote:just like a light bulb Live Or neutral can be attached to either terminal. And if using a metal boil pot you can earth the pot itself, probably easiest to trap a crimped Large eyelet under one of the retaining nuts.

I would also consider using crimped on eyelets to make the live and neutral connections.

fwiw i have bought a couple of ebay china U elements, both arrived as described and unlike some of my bad element punts were indeed contained within SS tube. the project i bought em for never floated so i cant comment on lifespan.

To cover the electrics i wouldnt try capturing a covering box with the element retaining nuts, tricky to seal and a knock of the box could break a seal. if you dont have thread to add a further nut to secure a backing box i would consider epoxying the box to the pot with jbweld or similar.

fwiw i found 3/8" pvc siphon tube to be a nice snug fit over the isolating ceramic terminal bases if you felt further isolation necessary.
Ideal cheers for that. I think for ease of cleaning and fitting I'm gonna order up a couple U shaped elements.

Will have a look at how much thread there is to play with once fitted. Could even just shrink tube the joins to seal it and then have a short length of cable to a male/female connector to make it easy to unplug them for cleaning ect
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

colin.m.hammond

Post by colin.m.hammond » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:29 am

I have a 27 litre tea urn (klarstein biggie). BIAB can be a bit messy on that scale but with a mash tun you can easily make a 20 L batch. You can squeeze bigger batches out by diluting the wort prior to fermentation, I have done 20+10 litres before. Otherwise, I have recently been looking into getting another pot to make parralel boils. I was thinking about a cheap ikea portable induction hob and a pot - as long as the metal is magentic it will work with induction heating. The question is what size boil that kind of system could take. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this type of induction heating system for brewing? Anyway, there's a couple of thoughts for you...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk