Bergland 50l false bottom diameter?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Fastline
Hollow Legs

Bergland 50l false bottom diameter?

Post by Fastline » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:56 pm

Can anyone tell me what diameter I need to make my false bottom for a 50l thermo pot.

Mines packed away up in the loft, I can punch it out at work on a cnc punch, going to use 1.2mm stainless steel and punch a perpendicular pattern of 1.5mm wide x 12mm slots

How important is a beer line seal around the outer diameter

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Bergland 50l false bottom diameter?

Post by Fil » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:44 am

hmmmm would a 12mm long slot allow grain through??? cant help there,

as for the size , sorry i cant help there either only its smaller than 434mm ;)

as for the edge seal Yes something is needed. there will be a little wall wobble so you will need 1-2mm play with your fb just to get it in.. an alternative is to sit a snug end to end fitting length of silicone tube around the base circumference, and use legs slightly shorter than the tube diameter legs, or simply more tube lengths to support the centre, then the grain mass will seal the fb against the silicone tube ;)

But without edge tube you will run the risk of scratching the walls fitting the fb and pulling it out (well with the usual perforated sheet that is).

as for your slots, i envy access to the tools to do it and its sound like a good plan, while many figures are bandied about regarding minimum open space for a fb i used a fb with 1mm holes in a greater than 1 " between holes square grid pattern in a coldbox tun very successfully ;) without a single stuck mash, tho i did tend to batch sparge..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Fastline wrote:Can anyone tell me what diameter I need to make my false bottom for a 50l thermo pot.

Mines packed away up in the loft, I can punch it out at work on a cnc punch, going to use 1.2mm stainless steel and punch a perpendicular pattern of 1.5mm wide x 12mm slots

How important is a beer line seal around the outer diameter
How are you getting on with the false bottom. I'm eyeing up some stainless perforated sheet on eBay as I don't have access to a punch. What diameter are you going with?

Cheers,

Sam
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Not really got anywhere, I'm actually seriously considering a grainfather or Ace system so I can get on a brew some bigger batches

395mm I thinking, if I put split beer line around outer should close up any gaps

Here's a JPG of the design, the holes will take M6 Button Head Screws with Dome Nuts on the Bottom

I'm going Bottom Drain on all my vessels as I think it will make a clean in place system possible or just cleaning a little bit easier.

I'm thinking the easier the cleaning of the 3 vessels can be the faster and more fun the whole process is.
Attachments
False Bottom.JPG

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:31 pm

On the subject of Bottom drain Off centre close to one edge seems logical as others have said a slight tip and the vessel will be nearly completely empty

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Fastline wrote:On the subject of Bottom drain Off centre close to one edge seems logical as others have said a slight tip and the vessel will be nearly completely empty
Good idea that. Something to think about when i upgrade my system

ayepee
Tippler

Post by ayepee » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 pm

chefgage wrote:
Fastline wrote:On the subject of Bottom drain Off centre close to one edge seems logical as others have said a slight tip and the vessel will be nearly completely empty
Good idea that. Something to think about when i upgrade my system
Funnily enough that was a question I was going to ask. I have an insulated pot that needs converting to a mash tun. All of the bottom drain how-to threads I have seen all involve a centre drain whereas I would have thought a drain at the edge is a simpler option and cheaper to make apart from the fact that tipping the pot to the drain edge will empty the last runnings.

Can someone who has a bottom drain say whether centre or edge is best

Thanks - Tony

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:40 pm

well i went for an edge/front drain, and it was easy using off the shelf SS pipe fittings from bes.
https://www.bes.co.uk/pipes-tubes-fitti ... el/screwed

a 1/2" Barrel nipple is the ideal length to feed from a drain elbow through the skirt and attach a 1/2" ball valve to ;)

And lets you use simple line of eye marking up ;)

however when considering tipping a large SS mashtun remember the valve is protruding so will require tipping on the edge of its platform/table.. A bit of rubber or silicone sheet is useful as a grip enhancer if tipping on the edge of a shiny slippy surface. even though you dont need much of a tip, and something like a 3" high wedge is more than ample to stuff under the back base lip to maintain the tip ;)

must admit i keep considering an auto tilt platform along the lines of a sprung cask tilter .. One day perhaps ;)

ayepee
Tippler

Post by ayepee » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 am

Fil wrote:well i went for an edge/front drain, and it was easy using off the shelf SS pipe fittings from bes.
https://www.bes.co.uk/pipes-tubes-fitti ... el/screwed

a 1/2" Barrel nipple is the ideal length to feed from a drain elbow through the skirt and attach a 1/2" ball valve to ;)

And lets you use simple line of eye marking up ;)

however when considering tipping a large SS mashtun remember the valve is protruding so will require tipping on the edge of its platform/table.. A bit of rubber or silicone sheet is useful as a grip enhancer if tipping on the edge of a shiny slippy surface. even though you dont need much of a tip, and something like a 3" high wedge is more than ample to stuff under the back base lip to maintain the tip ;)

must admit i keep considering an auto tilt platform along the lines of a sprung cask tilter .. One day perhaps ;)
That setup seems to be an advantage over the centre drain and probably cheaper in parts and easier than cutting a channel through the insulation from the middle :D

Thanks

Fil

Post by Fil » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:41 pm

when i first posted info on my tun build i did receive warnings that the off set drain could result in an uneven suck on the grain bed, however with a natural drain i dont notice any problems.

When i finally get round to plumbing up the Rims system sat in boxes and start using a pump on the tun drain I may encounter the problem i was warned about ??