Problems with Bulldog mil

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
BenB

Re: Problems with Bulldog mil

Post by BenB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:07 pm

They come pre-assembled- interesting that the original mills had straight cut gears (as shown on the original link) and they've moved them. Can't but help that the end-float on the "upper" mill has lead to an excessive amount of back-lash on the gears. It's hardly surprising they've gone. Now if you could find a suitable sized washer you could put one under the circlip to push the gears closer together.

BTW I've e-mailed Hambleton Bard (who distribute the mill) to ask them if replacement parts are available. Partly out of altruism and partly as a concerned owner I'd be interested to know.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Looking at the design of the gears, is there not some spring or other means of automatically pulling/pushing the bevelled gears axially towards each other, so that this movement would take up slack between teeth as the roller (and therefore gear) gap was widened?

I'm only guessing as i've never seen one in the flesh, but it seems a likely reason for going with bevelled, rather than straight or spiral toothed gears. Which was then defeated by flour/grain packing around the end of the roller...
Kev

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

I think if those gears had been put on the other way round and a spacer/washer to pack out the space all would be good.
I think hand cranking has warn them because gear movement and lack of bushes/washers.
Then when super-duper-drill was fitted, we got a spin-stripping-tastic of those already half knackered gears.

Just to reiterate, no fault of owner, but faulty chineese worker half a sleep and over worked. And poor quality assurance,
To Busy To Add,

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks for the help guys - if the gears are replaceable it can be repaired

BenB

Post by BenB » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 pm

Hambleton Bard says any mill less than a year old can have free gear replacements and replacement gear sets are available....

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 am

I was looking around last night, this was one of the places I ended up.
http://www.motionco.co.uk/spur-gears-32 ... 33_24.html
But not knowing any of the dimentions of the gears, it was a guessing game. But anyhow it good that Benb has contacted HB an of course The good news that they are available.
But on another note I really should read previous post properly. Then maybe I will not be repeating what has been said before :oops:
Anyhow cheers to a good result :wink:
WD
To Busy To Add,