Kettle Power Cable - Advice please

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Kettle Power Cable - Advice please

Post by rowyourboat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 am

Bought a replacement C15 cable for my boiler recently like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... ss_product as I wanted to replace my old 10amp cable which had got a bit melted over time... I thought going 13amp would probably be safer.

Anyway, the listing said 13amp but what's arrived is 10amp on the packaging label. I've queried this with the seller who says the mains socket is fused to 13amp. But looking at the C15 socket itself it says 10amp on it.

So, would this be any safer running kettle elements than my 10a cable I'm replacing for prolonged time or should I return them and get a replacement with a 13amp capable socket? (gut instinct is to return it but not knowing much about electrics, would appreciate any comments about this).

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: Kettle Power Cable - Advice please

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:31 am

rowyourboat wrote:Bought a replacement C15 cable for my boiler recently like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... ss_product as I wanted to replace my old 10amp cable which had got a bit melted over time... I thought going 13amp would probably be safer.

Anyway, the listing said 13amp but what's arrived is 10amp on the packaging label. I've queried this with the seller who says the mains socket is fused to 13amp. But looking at the C15 socket itself it says 10amp on it.

So, would this be any safer running kettle elements than my 10a cable I'm replacing for prolonged time or should I return them and get a replacement with a 13amp capable socket? (gut instinct is to return it but not knowing much about electrics, would appreciate any comments about this).
The first point that i am concerned with is that your old cable got a bit melted over time. That should not happen so this cable was never suitable for the installation. The second point is the seller saying the mains socket is fused to 13amp, that does not make sense. The plug is the part that is FUSED to 13amp which is protecting the cable. The mains socket is rated at 13 amps (not quite but for laymans terms it is)

It sounds like the seller is selling products they no nothing about.

The end if the cable will indeed say 10A on it as that what it is rated at. This does not necessarly mean its safe to assume you can just plug it into a 13a socket.

What is the rating of the boiler?

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:35 am

I suppose when the seller says the main socket is fused to 13a they mean the plug?

Either way this type of lead is not meant for elements, the cable cores are only 0.75mm^2

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:53 am

Get one of these off eBay, much more substantial: 330942526638

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 am

alexlark wrote:Get one of these off eBay, much more substantial: 330942526638
is there a link to that item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:46 am

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:01 am

they've said it's rated and fused at 13A. if it's neither, then it's incorrectly advertised. is the conductor size marked on the cable? 'cause 0,75mm² is not even suitable for 10A let alone 13A so it's an odd advertising point..
dazzled, doused in gin..

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 am

jaroporter wrote:they've said it's rated and fused at 13A. if it's neither, then it's incorrectly advertised. is the conductor size marked on the cable? 'cause 0,75mm² is not even suitable for 10A let alone 13A so it's an odd advertising point..
It states on the advert that the conductor size is 0.75mm^2. That would put me off for a start

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:11 am

Either send the one you bought back or bin it then buy one from the link above, like what guypettigrew linked
Last edited by chefgage on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 am

that's my point - the advert doesn't even add up, and the supplied product is different again!
dazzled, doused in gin..

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:16 am

jaroporter wrote:that's my point - the advert doesn't even add up, and the supplied product is different again!
It amazes me the crap that can be bought. We have had 110v extension leads delivered to where I work and when we have tested them it turns out the earths were not terminated correctly i.e. terminated onto the insulation.

We also had a batch of cable that was not copper, it was some sort of cheap aluminium/some unknown metal combination from china!

vacant

Post by vacant » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:31 am

Bunglebrewsbeer wrote:
alexlark wrote:Get one of these off eBay, much more substantial: 330942526638
is there a link to that item?
It's an ebay item number. Just go to ebay and paste it into the search box at the top :)
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

vacant

Post by vacant » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 am

On my plastic boiler with budget kettle elements I prefer to use C15 connectors. These aren't sealed, they unscrew so you can use/replace your own heavy duty cable AND check the metal contacts are a nice snug fit.

rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Post by rowyourboat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks all for the responses so far - knowledge on this forum is always invaluable to a slightly out-of-my-depth, figuring it out as I go novice like me.

I've probably muddled up socket and plug in my post above (past my bedtime when writing last night). The mains 3-pin plug has a 13A fuse in it but the actual C15 socket at the other end says 10A on it, as does the packaging for the product.

Regarding my current cable, I should have been clearer that is was the C15 socket rather than the cable itself that was showing signs of melting/deteriorating. It's a 10A connector from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-10a-ho ... cket-n08kc to connect to budget elements (dismantled Tesco kettle) in a plastic bin and I'd guessed it just had a limited life (unless I did something wrong when I wired it up originally). I've bought a new boiler recently but ideally want to use this still to heat my sparge water.

I don't have the new cable with me as I'm at work but will check what other details it says - but sounding like my gut instinct to send it back is the right thing to do though (and that the seller knows about as much as I do about this stuff).

vacant

Post by vacant » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Problems do occur with the C15 kettle sockets - you have to unscrew and check they grip before they melt! With the sealed "C15 socket plus lead" you have no such option.

My other stainless boiler has Backer elements with the old-fashioned round sockets. They look like something from the 1950's but I guess solidly over-engineered for reliability.