Preparing a stock Buffalo Boiler for brewing

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Zammo

Re: Preparing a stock Buffalo Boiler for brewing

Post by Zammo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:22 pm

That's good to know! I'll get a metal paddle just to be on the safe side.

Luckily for me my brother is really good at electronics (he's forever building his own guitar effects pedals and amps) so if anything goes wrong he should be able to fit a new thermostat.

I'm really itching to buy the boiler now and get modding and brewing! My mate is just negotiating with his SWMBO to get the funds released!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Zammo wrote:That's good to know! I'll get a metal paddle just to be on the safe side.

I'm really itching to buy the boiler now and get modding and brewing! My mate is just negotiating with his SWMBO to get the funds released!
I got one for sale. PM if interested.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 am

My post on how to fit a tap is on the other forum. I believe that Buffalo changed the design so it may not be so simple now. I managed 20 brews without it cutting out. The cause was actually a loose connection overheating. I have now removed both the thermal fuse and cutout.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:38 am

Problem with removing the cut out is that it protects the element.

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 pm

I recently bought a 10l Buffalo from Nisbets, Nesbits, whatever it's called, and the tap hole and tap thread had straight sides. To fit a standard 15mm tank connector I had to enlarge the hole with a dremel and an aluminium oxide bit. It's not a difficult job, though.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:24 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Problem with removing the cut out is that it protects the element.
As long as you don't let it boil dry, it's fine. These boilers are designed to sit in a busy cafe supplying hot water where it's quite likely they could be emptied but left on. If you are using it for brewing then it is either going to be full or turned off.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:04 am

rpt wrote:As long as you don't let it boil dry, it's fine. These boilers are designed to sit in a busy cafe supplying hot water where it's quite likely they could be emptied but left on. If you are using it for brewing then it is either going to be full or turned off.
And also boiling a sugary liquid that may have some solid particles :cry:

I would also avoid removing the safety features or at the very least ensure you:

A) have a stand-by boiler if you need one in an emergency mid-batch
B) Have a spare element, thermal fuse and thermal cutout.

For B) I'm not even sure if on the newer Buffalos this is even possible.

I have replaced the element and themal fuse once and upgraded the cutout to a 130°c one.
On the previous design Buffalos you will find it next to impossible to source a replacement element so you have to fit another type.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm

for the sake of a £ or 2 inc postage a higher rated NC thermal switch, and the 20 minute swap out job its got to be worthwhile.

beer boils at temps way over 100c depending on gravity (sugar content) and elements can scorch and collect insulating calcium crud focusing some heat in the wrong direction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-KSD301-1 ... Hw3Fco_KgA
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Simonh82

Post by Simonh82 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm

I just picked up a 20L buffalo boiler second hand. On my first test I couldn't even reach a boil, i just kept cutting out at 98°C. This didn't seem like the thermal cut out going, I didn't need to reset it with the button on the bottom, this was just flicking from the orange (heating light) to green (at set temperature light). This suggested to me that it was the thermostat which is just causing it to switch off the element at too low a temperature.

After figuring out how to get into the base (prise off the caps that are part of the feet and unscrew the hidden screws) I checked all the connections. Everything looked fine so I left the cut out switch completely alone. Instead I unscrewed the retaining screw that holds the thermostat temperature sensor in place. I moved the sensor away from the bottom of the kettle and screwed the base back on.

It now reaches and maintains a very vigorous boil without any problem. Anyway, my advice would be try the simple things first before rewiring anything. :) :) :)

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:14 pm

It looks to be 50% off at the moment so if anyone is looking for one - http://www.nisbets.co.uk/buffalo-manual ... il.raction

£80 +vat