PID SSR vs mechanical relay

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

PID SSR vs mechanical relay

Post by jaroporter » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18 pm

just want to shoot this out to people as i don't usually see the distinction made in threads talking about PIDs (maybe because in all practicality it doesn't matter much?).

admittedly i've not used a PID before, but to me it seems like a SSR output makes more sense for this application. but i'd appreciate it if anyone had any thoughts either way in case there's something important i'm not aware of :?
been looking at the inkbird units, mainly because the auber would be US import i think - if anyone has any recent comments on this brand's functionality/reliability it'd be interesting.

for me it'll be only the usual controlling pumps and elements, though i'll leave it as an general question about PIDs as i'd be interested to know more anyways..

cheers
dazzled, doused in gin..

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: PID SSR vs mechanical relay

Post by aamcle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Go with a PT100 on the PID as thermocouples (k type + others) are very hard to calibrate, there is no need to import anything I have two PID's one I bought cheap from the Bay it's been reliable for the past three years. The other I bought from http://www.omega.co.uk it's fancy and reliable but I have not used it host of functions.

Mechanical relays are supposed to suffer if they pop open and closed to rapidly as they would when your using you PID as a pulse width modulator to control the boil.

ATB. aamcle

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:52 pm

In general mechanical relays aren't very good at switching heavy loads off and on at a rapid rate and standard ssr's dont like heavily inductive loads like motors or transformers,so for a heater being controlled by a pid an ssr is a better choice of the two,but a pump thats just being switched on and off a relay is better.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:54 am

many thanks for the replies. was figuring that the SSR would be more suited if the PID is switching rapidly, but that's an interesting point about inductive loads. is the main concern overcurrent (or overvoltage) causing failure of the SSR, or something else?
dazzled, doused in gin..

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 am

I once hooked up a mechanical relay to a PID and it wouldn't switch at all.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 am

rapid switching of an SSR will create heat, a ebay standard FORTEK 25A SSR when switching 2 x 1.5kw elements generated temps over 60C when measured 2nd vane down on the heatsink mechanically attached to the SSR base.

A SSR rated @ 40A or 60A may run cooler?? but if planning on boxing up perhaps consider an external heatsink or fan to help vent the box of heat.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(