Brassware.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Brassware.

Post by Troutman47 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi Fellas,
I want to do a bit of modifying to my set up and want to add a tee after the tap on my MT.
A Stainless Steel one is less than £3 from angel homebrew and brew builder but with the postage it's around £8!
Well, I'm a gas engineer and have brass fittings, they're suitable for use on potable water.
I was having a moan in my LHBS that they don't stock SS fitting and I was going to use brass and he said it was a bad idea!

So why? They're suitable for potable water?

Thanks for any replies.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Brassware.

Post by jaroporter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 pm

potable water isn't acidic. wort is. acids leech the surface lead from brass fittings

i believe (but you probably know with your line of work) WRAS approved brass has to be lead free, whereas gas usage doesn't neccessarily.

did he not explain why it was a bad idea or just repeat something he'd heard from someone.. ?! :roll:
dazzled, doused in gin..

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:02 pm

I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 pm

jaroporter wrote:potable water isn't acidic. wort is. acids leech the surface lead from brass fittings

i believe (but you probably know with your line of work) WRAS approved brass has to be lead free, whereas gas usage doesn't neccessarily.

did he not explain why it was a bad idea or just repeat something he'd heard from someone.. ?! :roll:
The fittings I have are WRAS approved so shouldn't have any lead in them.
The only thing he said was brass was ok if it was anodised!
vacant wrote:pipework suppliers?
Vacant! You're a star! Cheers!!

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 pm

wow , that site's ace, cheers vacant 8)

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:38 pm

I found them on eBay, buying direct from their web site was a bit cheaper for the bits I needed at the time.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:34 am

The quote below is copied from the metallurgy section of John Plamers 'How to Brew' website. He explains how to wash brass fittings to remove the surface lead and that this only needs to be done once. In the book version he also mentions that if you don't choose to wash the lead off using the solution, the amount of lead is so miniscule it is insignificant to health.

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

I take his word for it so never bothered washing my brass fittings and have had no adverse reactions. Now I'd better go and catch the unicorn that just flew through my living room window :shock:

PoppaZombie
Steady Drinker

Post by PoppaZombie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Excellent website too. I'll be getting my fittings from there from now on

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 pm

not sure if this helps, but I am subjected to yearly blood lead tests through work. I am exposed to lead residues every day at work and use several brass fittings on my 3V setup. I've never had a raised blood lead level so...
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks to everyone for the input especially PoppaZombie, great bit of info there!

I got my fittings from pipework suppliers in the end as the prices were so good!
Postage was very fair and delivered within a few days. Thanks for sharing Vacant!