Thinking of getting a pH meter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
BenB

Thinking of getting a pH meter

Post by BenB » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Just FYI, at present if you're in the market for a pH meter don't get them from Conrad- go to Rapid electronics. I almost had a coronary when I saw how much Conrad wanted for a pH meter to replace my current one. I think I paid about 30 quid before and they now wanted more like 70! Rapid wanted 35..... Worth shopping around and not just using Google "shopping" option...

I actually suspect my pH meter might be fine and the calibration solutions I got off Ebay are rubbish. Only thing that makes me think it's not working properly is the fact with my latest brew I couldn't calibrate the meter down to pH 4.0 (closest I could get was 4.06 then no amount of turning would get it lower). Going to get some more calibration solution before ponying up for a new meter. Multimeters, measuring tapes and hammers I seem to never have enough off- pH meters I think one's enough :D

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Thinking of getting a pH meter

Post by Jocky » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:48 am

The Voltcraft meter I got from Rapid has proven very stable between calibrations now that I've got my procedure sorted.

As mentioned on my pH calibration comparison, these sachets are cheap and accurate, and appear to remain stable once mixed for some time (although a good pH meter/probe that is washed off after use and stored properly appears to remain stable for months anyway): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PH-Buffer-Sol ... 2658851884

You'll need some distilled/deionised wate to mix them with, and it's also ideal for washing off the probe between measurements. Halfords battery water at £3.50 for 5 litres does the trick, and a lab/tattoo wash bottle is great to squirt a little uncontaminated water on the probe: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pc-250ml-Tat ... 1938133827
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.