What hose for wort chiller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Mattpc
Piss Artist

What hose for wort chiller

Post by Mattpc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:40 am

I'm sick to death of the green bog standard garden hose kinking when I first use the wort chiller. It gets hot, it goes soft, it kinks. Could someone please suggest some tubing that will easily connect to my wort chiller. It has a fitting to directly accept standard garden hose on both ends but I guess I could change that if necessary. Thanks!

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: What hose for wort chiller

Post by Coffeeuk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 am

Would the reinforced stuff be any better ? Mine had a criss cross braid inside to stop it kinking.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Go on eBay , food safe reinforced hose.

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:09 pm

The stuff on eBay looks promising thanks for that. It claims to be food safe but in any case it should never be in contact with the beer as it's just carrying away the water from the chiller. The issue I've been having is that the garden hose kinks, flow stops and then the hose blasts off the end of the chiller spurting water everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:25 pm

platinum cured silicone tube with a nice thick wall wont kink or soften with heat, and can be sourced from a few suppliers of top notch brew equipment (malt miller etc)
and via ebay, if looking on ebay search with the word 'Dairy' as its used for milk transport in dairies.

soft and stretchy its a simple friction fit on most tubes if sourced with a slightly small inside diameter,

Thick walled!! 3mm minimum wall thickness, thin walled tube is available but is NOT as kink resistant..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 pm

You can also get reels (or lengths) of the black epdm hose used for car radiators and heaters - it is available in various diameters. Its not as flexible or kink resistant as silicone but it is good with heat and tends to be reinforced. e.g. this sort of thing.
Kev

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. I went for the "food grade reinforced hose" in the end. At only £8 it was half the price of some of the better stuff and I just need need to to be OK for waste water and not kink when the water is hot. Fingers crossed!

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 pm

it wont kink , its what i use