Is a hop rocket really necessary?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Mattpc
Piss Artist

Is a hop rocket really necessary?

Post by Mattpc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 pm

I really like the current trend for "juicy" tasting modern beers.. Some feel that a hop rocket is the key to this, presumably by not brewing a particularly bitter beer but then putting a ton of hops in the hop rocket and pumping the wort through that prior to chilling. My question is do I really need another piece of expensive equipment to get these results? Could I not get the same result by chilling the wort to 80c and steeping with lots of hops for 30 minutes? Or.... I have one of those water filter type things with cornelius disconnects that allows beer filtration by doing a keg transfer with a filter in the middle. Some claim that these filters can be used as a hop rocket. Anyone got experience of doing this? This would certainly have a different effect as I would have to do this at room temperature post fermentation... I guess I'll eventually bite the bullet and experiment myself but it is always nice to get a headstart by listening to other peoples ideas...

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Is a hop rocket really necessary?

Post by Fil » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:22 am

for the 10" cartridge filter version google for 'hop randel' or variations on the spelling and pay attention to Aussie home brew sites as its another Aussie addition to the homebrewers arsenal ;)

where are u based? i could be persuaded to loan out my rocket for a bottle or 2 in consideration ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:47 am

Manchester so probably not an option but thanks for the thought.

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am

Here we go... http://homebrewacademy.com/how-to-build-a-randall/

I just need the stainless steel bit as I already have the filter housing.

or... It's been suggeseted on http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cgi ... ml#SID=200 that I could just put the hops in a bag inside the filter housing. Given that I wouldn't have to do anything other than find a little muslin bag to put the hops in, I might try that first doing a keg transfer directly after racking the beer from ferment to keg.