Possible Fermentation Fridge

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Truffle Shuffle

Possible Fermentation Fridge

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am

Hi there,

I have a spare tall larder fridge/freezer and wondered what i could do with it. The freezer is on the bottom but has stopped working, the frige part however still works fine. What would be the best thing to use it for and what equipment would i need to complete it? I'm a novice at brewing and have just started again as the weather is a bit warmer - my house is very cold (straight turbo cider and hopped turbo cider - amarillo). Wanting to get on with a coopers stout ditch stylie.

Many thanks
Andy (TS)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Possible Fermentation Fridge

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Most fridge-freezers use the same system to cool both halves, so it is worth checking that the fridge part is working properly. But it may be, as occasionally they have separate cooling gubbins.

If all is well, you could use the working part to regulate the temperature of your fermentations, assuming it is big enough to take a fermenter. A small (say 50watt) tubular heater placed in the fridge would add heating capability, then a thermostat (such as some of the inkbird types) would be able to cool or warm the chamber as necessary by switching on fridge or heater. (Or you could use the working part just to store finished beer or hops etc.)

If your house is cool enough not to need the fermentation cooling (even during the vigorous stage of fermentation) then you could just use the non-working part as an insulated cupboard with a heater.
Kev