Digital thermometer probe placement

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Digital thermometer probe placement

Post by StrontiumDog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 am

Hi all.

I have an Inkbird ITC-308 (sorry it's a stock photo, I'm at work so can't take a pic) and I'm mainly using it to heat sparge water. I was wondering if any one has any advice for securing the probe in the HLT rather than just letting it dangle as it's not really heavy enough to sink and the wire is zigzagged from where it was packaged.

I'd like something so I can take it out and use it in other things (mash tun, boiler etc) so not sure a thermowel would work. I was thinking perhaps feeding it in to some copper pipe or something?

Would be grateful for any tips or genius ideasImage

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Digital thermometer probe placement

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 am

Surely a thermowell would be ideal?

This one from the Malt Miller even says the sensor from an Inkbird fits! It's out of stock, unfortunately, but it would be worth checking to see when the next delivery is due.

If you fitted thermowells to the rest of your kit you'd be able to move the Inkbird sensor wherever you wanted to.

Guy

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 pm

guypettigrew wrote:Surely a thermowell would be ideal?

This one from the Malt Miller even says the sensor from an Inkbird fits! It's out of stock, unfortunately, but it would be worth checking to see when the next delivery is due.

If you fitted thermowells to the rest of your kit you'd be able to move the Inkbird sensor wherever you wanted to.

Guy
Thanks guy, I didn't know they could be moved around. I guess the biggest thing putting me off has been the thought of trying to drill the hole Image

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:48 am

tie the probe to a stainless steel teaspoon or fork to weigh it down :)

there is a major drawback with a static probe which you dont usually notice until you fall foul of it which is too late for that brew.

with a static probe position the liquor in the hlt can layer out, there is probably a technical term for it but im ignorant if that if it exists.. this means at the probe point the temperature is generally spot on, however below and above the probe the temp can vary significantly, cooler below warmer above..

with a probe that can move up and down within a pot such a variance will become evident as you pull the probe and you can stir the pot to normalise the temp but if you dont realise you can find yourself dumping cool strike or sparge liquor onto your grains..

so if you go for the thermowell just remember to give the pot a good stir prior to drawing off strike or sparge liquors to ensure the temp is correct ;) its also why you will find some hlts fitted with recirc returns..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 am

jasonbrooker1985 wrote: Thanks guy, I didn't know they could be moved around. I guess the biggest thing putting me off has been the thought of trying to drill the hole Image
It's the probe you'd be moving from vessel to vessel, not the thermowell. You'd need thermowells in each pot then stick the Inkbird probe into whichever pot you wanted to.

Guy