What would you do - set up recommendations

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

What would you do - set up recommendations

Post by Manngold » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi all,

I recently posted a topic in the grainfather/all in one board asking for some advice, and the information I got was great. , However, I have a bit of a dilemma, in which I know that ultimately only I will be able to make my final choice, but was wondering what members would do.

My current set up is that of BIAB, my pot was from Mr Lard (brewbuilder) and it has a 2.4kw heating element, a tap and a hop filter. I like it, a lot, but also am fed up with the bag and the fact I have to take the lid off to get a temp reading and it takes ages to get going. I am tempted to get a mate to make two additional holes and fit a temp dial and an additional heating element to help maintain a good boil and so I don't have to peer in all the time.

I want a Bulldog or Grainfather, they look swish and posh a d have electronic displays. Plus I can lift the grain basket and have it sit nicely whilst I sparge. They also have pumps, two elements, decent temp controls and chillers. They seem to be systems that are very easy to clean and would save me time.

Am I just part of the wanting new things generation? What would you do in my situation? If I was to sell me existing set up, what would be a fair price? It cost me just under £150 two years ago.

I know it is my decision ultimately, but am I just wanting too much and should I just stick with my current set up. I also have the money to buy a Bulldog, Grainfather out of reach for this month.

Thanks for bearing with me. I am very indecisive any way....

John

Orval62
Tippler

Re: What would you do - set up recommendations

Post by Orval62 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm

John,
I understand where you're coming from, I am also at a similar stage. I currently brew with a 50 litres BIAB set up using a gas burner, but due to the time it takes to complete a brew and the space all the equipment takes up I have decided to go to a Grainfather. When you look around there is little to separate the all in one brewing machines apart from price, they all appeared to do a decent job. Hopefully this will encourage me to brew and experiment more. It does seem that home brewing has come a long way in a short time and there are many options for us brewers alike, which in its self causes confusion. I have spent the last few months on forums and YouTube looking at reviews of all in one brewing setups to help with my decision. I will try and sell my current set up to offset the cost of the Grainfather.
If it helps with your enjoyment of this hobby why not treat yourself and remember it's an investment. The way I see it if you are brewing decent beer you are saving money.

Tony

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks Tony. I have also watched many Youtube videos on lots of different models. I think that I probably will take the plunge. A mate of mine has said I can use his gear to make additional holes in my SS Kettle, so may do this anyway and see how much quicker it makes things.

Likewise, my last brew took me about 8 hours. Needless to say, the wife was not impressed as it meant we lost a day of holiday together with the little one. I think that something digital, that can help tell me what to do at regular times will help as it will mean I dont have to be peeking in as much.!

Ultimately though, if it makes better beer, that will probably be my biting point.

John

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 pm

im a grainfather owner so have some bias..

the biggest difference between the systems imho is the control unit, the bulldog has a basic thermostatic controller which isnt positioned in the most brewer friendly position, the grain father has a couple of easy access controller options the mk1/mk2 stc200 basic controller or the newer higher tech controller which matches and possibly surpasses the braumiester equivalent controller with features and functions, Also the Mk1/2 basic controller unit is upgradeable with something like a reflashed stc1000 with the one vessel brewing system loaded, or even a smartpid computer.

The bulldog is not so open to upgrade and modification of its control system, which may not be either an issue or a bother, but then in 6 months time???

I bet you know which you want really.. go with your gut.. ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:31 pm

I think you're right Fil.

The only thing that is currently holding me back is this niggling feeling that I should upgrade my current system - would be much cheaper, just add an element, and a temp dial - and most of my issues would be sorted.

Dilemma's....