Blichmann Beer Gun

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mosquat
Piss Artist

Blichmann Beer Gun

Post by mosquat » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi all,

I've got to bottle up 3 kegs worth of beer for a wedding so I've invested in a beer gun.

I'm seeking some advice on how best to connect the gun up to my Co2 - I've got a dual reg with a john guest splitter on one of the connections which allows me to carb up 3 kegs. I'm thinking of using one of these connections to provide Co2 to the gun.

Any tips from fellow beer gunners appreciated ;)

Thanks

Carl

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Blichmann Beer Gun

Post by aamcle » Thu May 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Put a temporary Tee in the line to the keg and go from that.

I have the Chinese clone it's functionally identical and I've found it to be a pain in the ass, the tubes are long and they need to be so you will need to be very organised with them, sanitise carefully, keep the pressures to a minimum and fill slowly.

The biggest issue is temperature, to stop foaming every thing has to be very cold I was lucky when I used it the big freezer in the garage was nearly empty so I had the bottles in that before I filled them.

3 kegs is a heroic undertaking Respect! =D> =D>

Is there no way to take the kegs and dispense from them?

Good Luck aamcle

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Cheers for the reply.

I may most likely just do the 20 bottles per keg...it will still be one massive PITA but hopefully it will be enjoyed by everyone.

Thought about taking the kegs but there's all sorts of issues around getting it there, getting co2 there in some form etc....apart from the initial ball ache of filling the bottles it does seem the easier option.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Fri May 05, 2017 11:00 am

I’ve been using a copy of the Blichmann beer gun for over a year now and find it great :D

My top tips:

- Chill the kegs as much as possible. I usually set my fridge to 0°c and leave it for 24 hours or more.
- I fill the beer gun with Starsan from the keg, then place it in the fridge.
- I use plastic bottle caps when finished with bottles. Squirt some star san in re-cap. When it comes to bottling I can then just chuck the bottles in the fridge so they get cold (reduces foaming).
- Release pressure in the keg, connect the beer gun up and set pressure to 3-5 PSI - Start filling!

3 kegs are going to take a while. You might want to rope someone in to cap the bottles while you fill. I’d do it over a bucket or drain, the first few bottles will probably foam until all the lines get cold enough.

Only problem with the older version is the plastic cap on the end falls off #-o I think they’ve fixed this with the new version?

p.s. I bottled over 50 bottles last year for a wedding. Glad I used the beer gun, most people ended up drinking from the bottle :twisted:
Attachments
CbG5x56WAAEwF0b.jpg

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Fri May 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks very much, happily I bought v2 of the gun which stops some if the previous probs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk