Anyone use a flow meter?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris2012
Under the Table

Anyone use a flow meter?

Post by chris2012 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:40 pm

I found https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-157 ... 8-fpt.aspx recently, which I don't think
would be suitable for what I want as I think 0.45 us gal is 1.7l, so probably not accurate enough, but has anyone seen anything similar,
which could be used for pumping water from the HLT through to the mash tun?

Edit: Was just thinking that's 1.7lpm as the minimum so maybe that's acceptable, and 15lpm as the max.

Although that seems to display us gal only, so probably not useful for me.

bobsbeer

Re: Anyone use a flow meter?

Post by bobsbeer » Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm

I have one of these HERE
Works well. I have mine hooked up to an electronic ball valve to shut off the flow at a set volume. I use this to fill my HLT. I also use the flow meter to measure flow to my MT, but that is not hooked up to the ball valve. It could be, but just not bothered. I just watch the flow and shut off the valve manually.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:43 pm

Thanks a lot, that looks awesome.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed May 31, 2017 6:34 am

Looks interesting! Do you need 2 separate units to do that or can you use 2 flow meters with one of the display units?
Ian

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 am

I have two different flow meters, and a switch, so just one unit. I put camlock connectors on the flow sensor, so I also move the sensor easily to measure the flow from the boiler to the FV. It's reasonably accurate. After adding the camlocks, I realised I only needed one, but I already set the HLT one in the pipework so have two. I guess with more switches I could have more sensors permanently in place. One thing though is that when running wort through the sensors they need a good clean afterwards to get the sugars out, or it slows the paddle wheel. Easy to clean though. 4 screws and the top comes off. Then lift out the paddle.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 31, 2017 8:07 am

bobsbeer wrote:I have two different flow meters, and a switch, so just one unit. I put camlock connectors on the flow sensor, so I also move the sensor easily to measure the flow from the boiler to the FV. It's reasonably accurate. After adding the camlocks, I realised I only needed one, but I already set the HLT one in the pipework so have two. I guess with more switches I could have more sensors permanently in place. One thing though is that when running wort through the sensors they need a good clean afterwards to get the sugars out, or it slows the paddle wheel. Easy to clean though. 4 screws and the top comes off. Then lift out the paddle.

Have you got pictures of the set up Bob? Where did you get them?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 pm

bobsbeer wrote:I have one of these HERE
Works well. I have mine hooked up to an electronic ball valve to shut off the flow at a set volume. I use this to fill my HLT. I also use the flow meter to measure flow to my MT, but that is not hooked up to the ball valve. It could be, but just not bothered. I just watch the flow and shut off the valve manually.

Do you find yours accurate? cause the one i got is not and i think i need to sent it back!

I've just taken delivery one one and hooked it up to my HLT to fill it ready for this morning brew, I set it for 13.5L and on my old sight glass on the HLT read nearly 16L, I didn't know my sight was that far out, so i then used it to measure out 2L of water in to a large meauring jug, out came 2.25L, and i double checked again with a 2nd measuring jug and the same amount!

Any one else using this flow meter as it sounded like a really good idea!

Thanks

JonoT

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Did you try weighing the water? Jugs are not always exact.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:18 am

use the forum search for 'brewshark' a member has hooked one of these
upto an arduino and an lcd shield for filling to a specified volume opperating a solanoid valve to turn on/off the water supply.
https://github.com/stelawton/brewshark
might have been another brew forum??
the problem using it with vessel to vessel transport was the minimum back presure needed to opperate the solanoid valves, they work ok with mains pressure behind then pushing open the valve, but when used with a gravity system they dont open to start with ;(

i think you can get solanoid valves suitable for working with gravity fed systems, but they are not the ebay bargain versions usually ;)

there are smaller / finer grade flow meter if accuracy is an issue
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flow-metre-YF ... SwyQtV2iJl

a better way? to measure water is by mass. 1l of water regardless of temp is basically 1kg, and if you need to be uber accurate with your mash liquor, take a gravity reading and the reading will be the liquors mass for 1 litre ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(