Hello from Bournemouth

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
republicofbeer

Hello from Bournemouth

Post by republicofbeer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Recently joined the forum. Been home brewing for about 12 years. Decided / convinced the wife to let me build a brew shed in the garden. So last June I started digging up the garden....

Then once it was built came the fun part, the equipment. Still not entirely finished, but almost there and now done a few test brews

Equipment wise, the last thing I have to get sorted is to install a chiller to control the ferm temps better, unfortunately my ferm tanks don't fit in a fridge to control them that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Bournemouth

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 am

Nice work! 8)

Threads in the Guestbook forum get auto-pruned after a few weeks and I think this is worth keeping. I'm going to move it to the Brewing Equipment forum to preserve it. :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

Wow very nice, love the control panel and the fact you got a digger in for the job!

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:08 pm

chris2012 wrote:Wow very nice, love the control panel and the fact you got a digger in for the job!
Thanks. I still need to finish wiring some things in the control panel but it works as it is so I'll finish it when I have time.

I started digging it by hand but then gave up. I had to dig out a lot of soil to allow for the hardcore etc and it was during the hottest week last year, the day trying to do it by hand almost killed me!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Fair play, mate =D> Welcome to the forum.

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 am

Well done =D>

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Loving the build ! Hand digging aint so bad if you use a pick properly. Did you put a floor drain in the brewing area?

republicofbeer

Hello from Bournemouth

Post by republicofbeer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Haydnexport wrote:Loving the build ! Hand digging aint so bad if you use a pick properly. Did you put a floor drain in the brewing area?
Unfortunately not. However i don't tend to make too much mess, I quick mop does the job. I do have a waste outlet through the wall under the tables that a drain anything in the tanks through though.

Hand digging isn't my thing, was much easier using the digger. There was a fair amount of soil that came out, I wouldn't have got it done in time. The one side had a raised bed and that went down a metre.

Fuzzy-felt
Tippler

Post by Fuzzy-felt » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 am

Fabulous job there - you must be really chuffed.

After an ultimatum from the missus to get all of my gear out of the sitting room, I got her to agree to me building a brew shed. I positioned it as far away as I could whilst still being able to get a gravity drain run in, which means it's only a few metres away from the back of the house, which isn't ideal aesthetically. Still not sure how I wangled that one with the boss. The biggest problem I have is heat gain during May to September for the multitude of kegs I always have on the go. As bonkers as it sounds, I'm considering a bit of air conditioning.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:12 am

Fuzzy-felt wrote:Fabulous job there - you must be really chuffed.

After an ultimatum from the missus to get all of my gear out of the sitting room, I got her to agree to me building a brew shed. I positioned it as far away as I could whilst still being able to get a gravity drain run in, which means it's only a few metres away from the back of the house, which isn't ideal aesthetically. Still not sure how I wangled that one with the boss. The biggest problem I have is heat gain during May to September for the multitude of kegs I always have on the go. As bonkers as it sounds, I'm considering a bit of air conditioning.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Do you have any pics of yours? Luckily I managed to get the fall from there on the drains.
Luckily my mate gave me an air con unit that his work didn't need anymore.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Nice job, what size brews can you do with that?

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Biggest I've done so far is 120lts. I reckon I can easily do more but how much more would depend on the grain bill of the recipe really as the mash tun is the limiting factor. I can easily boil 180lts but whether I can get the mash to do that is another matter

Fuzzy-felt
Tippler

Post by Fuzzy-felt » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 pm

republicofbeer wrote:
Do you have any pics of yours? Luckily I managed to get the fall from there on the drains.
Luckily my mate gave me an air con unit that his work didn't need anymore.

Here are a couple of photos.
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_1348.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 am

That is very smart!

Brewedout
Piss Artist