Taps and pressure barrels

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Taps and pressure barrels

Post by Jimbro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi all, I have just finished fermentation in the bucket and use a pressure barrel for secondary. I found that two of my taps had cracks in the thread part that goes in to the barrel, luckily I found this as I was cleaning the Barrel. Oddly enough I had a spare tap so cleaned that and secured it in the barrel but even after half a day it drip leaks from the turn 'on/off' lever. I have a jug underneath to catch the drips.
Every tap that I have had has drip leaked even after checking the small washers in the lever part. I guess the question is, what are the best taps for a screw in thread barrel (not a lock nut inside at the back, it's only a 2" hole on top)? It's getting disheartening now tbh. I also wonder how long this tap will let as Co2 gets stronger. :shock:

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Taps and pressure barrels

Post by Manngold » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Are you sure it is not an issue with the barrel itself rather than an issue with the taps?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 pm

some lever taps on PBs dont need pushing fully back but instead are fully closed when 5 degrees or so before 'flat'.. and 'over closing' by pushing further can result in a leak and drip.. ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:02 am

It is definitely the taps, I have two barrels and it's the same on both. I will get a photo of one of the taps to show you what I mean.

I remember being told about where the lever should be to be closed and not all the way back. I learned that on my first ever brew.

I think I'm really on the look out for better made quality taps that just screw into the barrel without a back nut.
Thanks for your replies though.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:18 pm

My advice would be to go for corny kegs, I made the choice a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. The set up is a bit costly, but you don't have to worry about the things you have mentioned.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 am

That's way too expensive for me unfortunately. I think I might as well just buy a lot of taps and spares. :roll:

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:49 am

Hello Jimbro.This is somthing i often experience with my PBs and taps.
Its not realy a bad sign but rather a good one more often than not.
The cap on the barrel then is airtight and i think as pressure builds somthing somewhere will occasionaly have to give.
As i say it happens but i would`nt worry as long as its only a slight seeping.
Budget barrels are what they are!!!!
Image[/img]Image

This is a pint of my signature session bitter where there was seeping through the tap during secondry fermentation.
It carbonated fine.As long as your caps airtight don`t worry about a little seeping at the tap 8)
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm

I alwaya had the same problem with the cheap pressure barrels but never with king kegs.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm

not something i have done but i have read threads where folk have used a dalex style ex pub tap which should fix into a threaded barrel with a 3/4" to 1/2" bsp reducing bush.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:26 am

Beer is STILL clearing and yeasty :roll: Might start a larger for the summer /autumn months.

grmski

Post by grmski » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:18 am

Fil wrote:not something i have done but i have read threads where folk have used a dalex style ex pub tap which should fix into a threaded barrel with a 3/4" to 1/2" bsp reducing bush.
I've added a dalex tap onto a budget pressure barrel by using a reducer as Fil describes. It does the job, somewhat, but there are drawbacks. The brass reducer is bad for the plastic barrel thread it cuts the thread to pieces, you add 2 additional points of potential leakage and infection and finally the tap I had, while standard, was so long it prevented the barrel sitting flush on a surface so I couldn't get a glass under it, I had to raise it up by about 10 cm to pour a pint. On the plus side it did pour a great pint much much better than the crappy white taps provided as standard. On the whole though it was more trouble than it's worth.