PH tester

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Midlife
Piss Artist

PH tester

Post by Midlife » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 pm

I am interested in getting a PH tester now I'm using starsan as well... Trouble is there seems to be a large range! Really cheap to very expensive for beer making. So the million dollar question is... What's a good one for all grain? Any recommendations?

Cheers.

goldthirst
Tippler

Re: PH tester

Post by goldthirst » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:11 pm

You can get the cheap yellow type one's but I would get one of these as they are an improvement.

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:30 am

I use a Hanna Instruments one as below link

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/ph-wa ... s/4100902/

Don't forget to buy the proper calibration solution too, whichever one you go for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grmski

Post by grmski » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 am

this one is at a good price http://amzn.to/2umcIgc

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:55 am

goldthirst wrote:You can get the cheap yellow type one's but I would get one of these as they are an improvement.
I have the voltcraft one. It's good.

Get decent calibration buffers too though. I tried out the sachet ones that you mix with distilled/deionised water (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PH-Buffer-Sol ... Fh7XuFuVYQ) and they were bang on with more expensive Hanna ready made ones.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm

for starsan viability testing a 50p book of ph test papers is the quickest, and easiest solution imho, no worries about equipment accuracy ;)

if after a volcraft meter pm me i have one bought on a whim bnib only removed to look at, never used.. make me an offer..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Fil wrote:for starsan viability testing a 50p book of ph test papers is the quickest, and easiest solution imho, no worries about equipment accuracy ;)

if after a volcraft meter pm me i have one bought on a whim bnib only removed to look at, never used.. make me an offer..
I've the Voltcraft one and work it hard. On my second probe now which was bought cheaply off the bay and needed virtually no adjustment to the original settings.
I too use cheap strips for testing pH of clear liquids for sanitation etc. Takes less time than getting the probe out of the storage solution.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Remember, however much you pay, the probes have a finite life - 1 or 2 years?

So you need a cheap one you can afford to toss away and replace, or a smarter model you can later buy probes for at a reasonable price. You know when the probe has had it when you need to recalibrate it every time you look at it (if you can recalibrate it).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

My replacement was one of these, but don't think I paid that much while it was only a slight touch on the adjustment in calibration buffers.

May be time to order the next replacement.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Just checked and my Voltcraft with it's original probe is 2 years old! :shock:

I guess I only use it once a month and I do store it in a KCl solution and wash the probe with deionised water before storage, but whenever I take it out it's usually only out of calibration by 0.02 or so, sometimes not at all.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:31 pm

As I've gone and made worrying statements, I better hand over to a more authoritative source. Dug this out:

http://www.all-about-ph.com/ph-probes.html

But the important points I noted: Probes age even if they are not used. Keep probes damp but never store in distilled (RO, deionised, etc.) water. Never wipe the sensor bulb. I don't think our application is considered "hard" use.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 pm

I've got one of the Hanna pH probes, I should have looked after it a bit better though. I need to put new batteries in it, been ages since I used it. But I've bought some cheap bnc pH probes a while ago I've been meaning to play with. So I might get one of those voltcraft ones sometime. One thing about the Hanna ones, I'm not sure how much Hanna charges for new pH bulb things.

I don't think I've got any storage solution though so will have to get some.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:45 am

Does anyone know whether the pH buffer solutions will keep once mixed? I would like to mix up say 500ml of each (4 and 7) and put them in plastic water bottles so that the are ready to use whenever I need them.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 pm

spook100 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:45 am
Does anyone know whether the pH buffer solutions will keep once mixed? I would like to mix up say 500ml of each (4 and 7) and put them in plastic water bottles so that the are ready to use whenever I need them.
Generally, if you make them up with deionised water then yes they will be stable for some time in my experience.

Each time you calibrate though you will need to take some out and calibrate in that. If you just dip the probe in your whole bottle of calibration solution you’ll contaminate it and it’ll be incorrect.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Jocky wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 pm
Generally, if you make them up with deionised water then yes they will be stable for some time in my experience.

Each time you calibrate though you will need to take some out and calibrate in that. If you just dip the probe in your whole bottle of calibration solution you’ll contaminate it and it’ll be incorrect.
Perfect! Thanks!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.