Building a Brew Bench - Surface Options

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
naturals

Building a Brew Bench - Surface Options

Post by naturals » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:30 pm

I've finally got space to build up my brewery properly (after four years brewing on rented apartment hobs!). I'm the very proud owner (renter) of a small lockup with power and water nearby.

First step is to build a bench to put all my gear on. I'm thinking ply for the actual deck. Will this be ok with hot pans on? My system's electric but I'm worried about scorching the wood. What have people sat under their boilers to protect the surface underneath?

Ta muchly!!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Building a Brew Bench - Surface Options

Post by Jocky » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:55 pm

Plain old ply under my electric pans. No scorching.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 pm

consider ebay/freecycle for a cheap length of as new kitchen worktop. add 4 x ebay worktop legs and 16 screws later you have a robust worktop/table, if bridging more than 1.5m wide i would consider adding at least 1" thick support planks under the worktop.. ply would do it very well ;)

Hot side brewing can drop spills n splashes which ply will simply absorb, tho you could oil or wax it in advance??

Colds side you really want wipe down sanitation friendly surfaces, and ply wouldnt be ideal..

Or top the ply with budget white 6" tiles ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:39 am

Fil wrote:consider ebay/freecycle for a cheap length of as new kitchen worktop. add 4 x ebay worktop legs and 16 screws later you have a robust worktop/table, if bridging more than 1.5m wide i would consider adding at least 1" thick support planks under the worktop.. ply would do it very well ;)

Hot side brewing can drop spills n splashes which ply will simply absorb, tho you could oil or wax it in advance??

Colds side you really want wipe down sanitation friendly surfaces, and ply wouldnt be ideal..

Or top the ply with budget white 6" tiles ;)
I did this for my worktop- got some "offcut" kitchen worktop from local hardware shop in exchange for donation to Yorkshire air ambulance. Legs and bracing made from bits of wood from other jobs, have tiles for splashback left over from re-tiling the bathroom so just need to get on with that!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:07 am

Another vote for kitchen worktop leftovers
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

naturals

Post by naturals » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:25 am

Nice. Thanks for all the tips. To Freecycle I go!!!