One for the sparkies

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
f00b4r
Site Admin

One for the sparkies

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:53 pm

I am setting up my brewery in my new house and it is being split between two rooms, each only having a single socket in each.

One room will be used for brewing (and possibly fermenting) and the other for storage and a kegerator (possibly fermenting there instead depending on the feedback here, although I might prefer to have the extra space there).

The intended setup in terms of electrical draw:

Room 1:
Braumeister 20L (2000W element with the pump only being another 9W)

Room 2:
Tall larder fridge for kegerator
60 watt tube heater
STC1000 or Inkbird controller

Room 1 or 2:
Larder fridge for fermenting with Inkbird controller or Brew Pi setup (Brew Pi spark and raspberry Pi)
60 watt tube heater

If I am brewing would I have any issues with the fermenting fridge also running off the same socket as the Braumeister? My understanding is that I would normally have a decent overhead but I just want to ensure that if the element is on and the fridge compressor kicks in then I am not going to have any issues.

Oh and just to confuse things I have just moved to Germany so everything here is a little different but I am guessing the electrics are not far off.
The rooms are number 10 in the pictures of the electrics below:

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: One for the sparkies

Post by themadhippy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:18 pm

your braumeister is going to pull around 8.6A so just under 8A left for the fridge, the breaker needs around 80A before it will "instantaneously" trip so even with the standard 6x starting current for a motor you should be fine. Are you sure both sockets are on the same breaker as normally each socket is on its own radiual circuit
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Pretty sure as the unit is labelled in German on the door and both rooms seems to be marked under number 10. It is a little strange as the rooms are in the basement (although this actually becomes the garden level at the back of the house) and appear to be more built as storage rooms rather than anything else, e.g. all other rooms in the house are fully networked, have an air recycling system and more electrical points).
It does have some strange electrical choices as two sockets next to each other in the "plant/utility" room have separate breakers, presumably to isolate the washing machine but I am not sure why.
They are the two interconnected rooms in the plan below, so one is really inside the other (not sure if this makes the wiring make a bit more sense).

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:07 pm

It does have some strange electrical choices as two sockets next to each other in the "plant/utility" room have separate breakers
each socket is rated for 16A so having a heavy loads on each of them will cause the circuit to become overloaded,not enough to blow the trip but enough to get the cable feeding the sockets beyond its safe working temperature
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Ah that makes sense. It's just very strange to get your head around stuff that is the same but slightly alien at the same time e.g. there are two water meters fed from the same mains supply which confused the heck outta me until it was explained that the one that feed the outside tap was done that way so no sewerage charges were faced.
Thanks for all your help! Time to set it all up for a double or triple brew weekend later this month :)