S30 right angle

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wiredcharlie
Steady Drinker

S30 right angle

Post by wiredcharlie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Is there an adaptor, or a way of gassing the barrel at a right angle rather than screwing the gas cylinder into the top of the barrel?

goldthirst
Tippler

Re: S30 right angle

Post by goldthirst » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:34 pm

It's something I've been looking for too. I may make up one myself from the valve off an old cylinder and a spare S30 barrel connector. It's probably best to have the bottle vertical though so a length of gas hose that can stand the pressure between the two might be better. I did find this which I was thinking of getting so I can use my 6kg CO2 cylinder and regulator with it.

wiredcharlie
Steady Drinker

Post by wiredcharlie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:17 pm

In answer to my own question, I made this:
IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg
overflow pipe
right angle
cut down used 8g CO2 bulb
S30 inlet valve
silicone sealant
I wrapped electrical tape around the S30 so that it was a tight fit before siliconing in. I also taped up the over-pressure valve.

Tony

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:37 am

filling via a bulb at a right angle should be fine as your dumping the bulbs full content, however an s30 bottle dumps co2 gas not co2 liquid so i guess like a fire extinguisher or a plumbers freezing bottle, a dip/feed tube is employed with an s30 bottle and using one horizontally may result in liquid and gaseous co2 being dropped into the pb, and liquid co2 will expand rapidly and probably just blow out the prv wasting a lot of co2..

I could be wrong, i dont know for sure, i am simply hypothesising, but it would be worth checking out and proving me wrong in advance of progressing.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:38 pm

I was thinking what fil said then read him saying it but after thinking about it I suspect the S30 cylinders don't have a dip tube. Reason for this is they do have issues freezing open if open to long and 1 second should release nearly 8ml of liquid. but I am no at all sure.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 pm

simon12 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:38 pm
I was thinking what fil said then read him saying it but after thinking about it I suspect the S30 cylinders don't have a dip tube. Reason for this is they do have issues freezing open if open to long and 1 second should release nearly 8ml of liquid. but I am no at all sure.
Er the freezing effect when opened could also be a side effect of the release of a compressed gas, that is after all the effect exploited in refrigeration.

just test to confirm before committing perhaps, a couple of test blasts into an empty pb should be a good enough indicator, if the sideways charged pb starts to bleed from the prv it could indicate i may be onto something If both barrels simply contain the pressure, i will 'eat my hat' , 'get my coat', 'eat humble pie ' etc quite happily..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(