Crown Cap Problems?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Ulsterman

Crown Cap Problems?

Post by Ulsterman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 pm

I've had 2 brews in the last 2 months which have suffered from low/no carbonation.

The first one I thought that I must have made a mistake in my batch priming although my notes were correct.

Second time I made sure that batch prime was accurate so can only assume that the crown caps are not sealing properly.

Anyone else had this problem with caps from any particular supplier?

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Crown Cap Problems?

Post by Manngold » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:02 pm

I haven't had an issue. How much you priming with? Have you left it two weeks warm?

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 pm

3 weeks warm at 20C and 2 weeks chilled at 4C

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:18 pm

The reason I was questioning was because they were 2 different beers and I had used different colour crown caps for each but all bought from the same supplier.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 am

Here's a tip. Next time you bottle use a sanitized 50ml ex fizzy water bottle for your first bottle. You can then check how carbonation is proceeding simply by just squeezing it. When it cannot be compressed the beer is carbonated.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes, I have used Crabbie's bottles with no problem for a coupel of years, then suddenly 2 batches of TC with very low carb.
Coincided with buying a big bag of caps from somewhere... But I can't remember where, you just expect them to work.
They're better on some ale bottles I tried next batch, so it's a manufacturing tolerance thing by the look of it

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:40 pm

IPA wrote:Here's a tip. Next time you bottle use a sanitized 50ml ex fizzy water bottle for your first bottle. You can then check how carbonation is proceeding simply by just squeezing it. When it cannot be compressed the beer is carbonated.
I have 2 litre soda bottle from the first batch which is rock hard so seems to be fully carbed. Don't have one for the second batch but thanks for the tip I had never thought of that as a check - cheers IPA

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Oldbloke - I know where I bought mine but don't want to drop names without being sure it really is the issue as they are also on this forum. I have another batch in the brewfridge so I will use caps from another supplier and a few testers from the current caps this time to check.

As it happens I am quite happy with lower carbed beers it's just that it was not my intended result.

It will all be consumed :beer:

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm

I half think I grabbed mine in Wilko's, or maybe The Range, but half think it was somewhere else. I should go back through my emails... I keep all the ones to do with purchasing. I like a bit of fizz in a TC, but yeh they're all getting drunk.
At first I thought I'd just left it too long before bottling and the yeast had gone away, but now I'm pretty sure it was the caps

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 pm

I have never had trouble with caps but some beers took ages longer to carbonate for no obvious reason.