Herms PID for fermenting fridge?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ryanshelton
Tippler

Herms PID for fermenting fridge?

Post by ryanshelton » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 pm

I've acquired a Herms PID(which I don't actually know how to use it and as I use a GF I doubt it's much use) could I adopt it to make a brew fridge? It's got a temp probe, 2 plugs, 1 labelled PID and the other Herms and then 1 socket on the top which is switched on/off when the set temperature is reached? I've already got a fermenting fridge but I bought it already assembled so didn't have to do any wiring.

Thanks

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Herms PID for fermenting fridge?

Post by Fil » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:27 pm

make, model number of the pid unit and google will tell you what its capable of afaik most pids can heat Or cool but not both at the same time, the 2 x plugs?
the 2 plugs, 1 labled pid will power the pid unit, allowing you to use it as an electronic thermometer, the HERMS plug will probably be wired through the SSR (if one is employed) and carry the load the control unit wil switch according to its setings and the pid algorithm which in a nutshell is intended to heat/cool up/down to target but not over/under..

the socket is where you plug in the load being controlled..

if you dont have use for it pop it on here for sale should be worth £40 or more of anyones brew budget if they have a want/need, which should buy you a ready to go inkbird brewfridge controller or finance an stc1000 box up. unless its a Rex c100 ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

ryanshelton
Tippler

Post by ryanshelton » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Fil wrote:make, model number of the pid unit and google will tell you what its capable of afaik most pids can heat Or cool but not both at the same time, the 2 x plugs?
the 2 plugs, 1 labled pid will power the pid unit, allowing you to use it as an electronic thermometer, the HERMS plug will probably be wired through the SSR (if one is employed) and carry the load the control unit wil switch according to its setings and the pid algorithm which in a nutshell is intended to heat/cool up/down to target but not over/under..

the socket is where you plug in the load being controlled..

if you dont have use for it pop it on here for sale should be worth £40 or more of anyones brew budget if they have a want/need, which should buy you a ready to go inkbird brewfridge controller or finance an stc1000 box up. unless its a Rex c100 ;)
Cheers, selling it may be the best option. Not sure what model it is to be fair but I'm guessing the Rex c100 are not great?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:00 pm

rex pids are the cheapest and have been caught out telling downright lies, iirc setting to heat upto X temp, letting it run and then setting it to a temp its allready passed, the dispay of current temp will drop by a significant value (circa 5 degrees +) off what it was displaying as an accurate representation a split second before..

the c100 model iirc isnt an ssr compatible model.. the switching speeds employed when heating a hlt or maintaining a rims or hems temp need an ssr as mechanical relays will fail with the switching frequency.

if you want to flip the switch on the hlt and return when ready to brew a pid is probably the best tool to control the hlt heat up.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 am

Don't connect a PID to a fridge through an SSR as it will kill the compressor. An STC-1000 or Inkbird controller is more suitable and you can easily buy an Inkbird from the proceeds of selling the PID.