Electricution hazard on "kettle leads"

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
BenB

Electricution hazard on "kettle leads"

Post by BenB » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi all,

Please check your boiler leads to ensure they don't have a partially sleeved earth connector. As clive on the bigclivedotcom youtube channel just pointed out this often defeats the point- in the socket the earth has to connect first which often means the socket connector is relatively near the faceplate. This means that often when the plug is fully pushed in you actually lose earth as by then the socket spring is contacting with the plastic sleeving....

Guess what I'm going to do as soon as I next get back in my brew shed!! I'm going to plug my cables into the extension reel I use to power my shed (disconnected of course!) to check for continuity between the earth pin on the reel and the kettle plug earth connector.

Worth checking- I know some of my leads have earth sleeves so bit worried!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Electricution hazard on "kettle leads"

Post by Kev888 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Yes, though it isnt restricted to kettle leads, non compliant plugs can be supplied with all sorts of leads and devices. 13amp plugs should have near fully copper earth prongs, or in the case of moulded double-insulated plugs they can be fully plastic - afaik none should be part plastic/sleeved and part copper (just the live and neutral prongs, which should be).

There have been cases of flex that is below the size stated, counterfeit fuses, fuses which arent even connected n the circuit, hot condition leads which arent, and undersized pins. Similarly with plumbing, things can be sold as WRAS approved which aren't, leaded brass dodgy plastics and the like.

I guess with all these things, unless buying from a manufacturer or retailer of known and trustworthy reputation it is worth being suspicious until/unless proven groundless. Anyone can put a BS or CE mark on things, genuine or not Sometimes they don't even bother going that far.
Kev

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:22 pm

V true- I've found a few leads with pathetic wiring inside them. I guess my thinking is they sort themselves out when you put 13A through them (assuming they don't combust!!!). Fake fuses is a bit scary though! Then again we're protected by MCBs :)

Other dodgy things are some of the USB charger plugs I've seen whereby the live + neutral pins are slightly too close together so it's a struggle to get them in the socket. It's possible but of course not without some force which makes removing them almost impossible. You wiggle the plug (lots) which just results in the case cracking off and rips the pins (still in the sockets) off the PCB leaving two little live pins stuck in the mains socket.....

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:05 pm

BenB wrote:V true- I've found a few leads with pathetic wiring inside them. I guess my thinking is they sort themselves out when you put 13A through them (assuming they don't combust!!!). Fake fuses is a bit scary though! Then again we're protected by MCBs :)
Just remember though the fuses and mcb's only protect the cables and equipment. Devices such as RCD's protect the person :D

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:03 am

Hats off to Big Clive, I do enjoy his vids.. entertaining common sense, tho i can nod off if he keeps the circuit diagram waffle going for longer than 5 minutes..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(