Anyone backing this?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Anyone backing this?

Post by orlando » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 am

Jim wrote:I suppose for someone with money they don't know what to do with and a love of gadgets it's step forward.
:oops:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:32 pm

orlando wrote:
Jim wrote:I suppose for someone with money they don't know what to do with and a love of gadgets it's step forward.
Does the embarrassed face mean you've already got one, Orlando?!

Guy

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Of course if anyone was unfit to give advice on avoiding spending money on unnecessary toys, it's me. :lol:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
orlando wrote:
Does the embarrassed face mean you've already got one, Orlando?!

Guy
Just the description of the type of person who would have/want one. In my defence, I don't have one, at the moment, :roll: but admit to being a prime candidate. My fermentations are one area that I would like to know more about, if this device can do that, with accuracy, then I am definiely interested. The Tilt is another that excites me for the same reasons. This new device avoids immersion in the beer, something I already risk with my FV coils, and all the attendant risks that brings.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 pm

The Tilt seems like a lot of fun. Although it's difficult to see how it would work in my Ss chronical with the cooling coil in place. It's easy to imagine it getting trapped and not reading properly. Plus the internet reviews seem to suggest it's a bit unsteady in its measurements.

The airlock thingy is fascinating, but would never be for me. I gave up using an airlock on the Chronical ages ago because of yeast spilling over. There's now a blow off tube into a bucket.

Probably easiest to stay with watching the bubbles from the blow off tube as an indicator of the stage of fermentation.

Guy

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Main obstacle I have is that I can't fit it in the brew fridge and I cannot be bothered to make a double-hole bung for the blow off jar!

In reality, when its done its' done. I could see some merit for commercial brewers who want to both replicate brews at the same time as maximising equipment usage, but for the homebrewer, I can see little genuine benefit - what could you actually change if it shows deviation from your ideal profile? Beyond temp control in the brew fridge, you're not going to change the contents are you? Just give it 2 weeks and let it brew out!

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

BarnBrian

Post by BarnBrian » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:56 pm

[quote=guypettigrew post_id=819491 time=1500470185 user_id=5521]
The Tilt seems like a lot of fun. Although it's difficult to see how it would work in my Ss chronical with the cooling coil in place. It's easy to imagine it getting trapped and not reading properly. Plus the internet reviews seem to suggest it's a bit unsteady in its measurements.

The airlock thingy is fascinating, but would never be for me. I gave up using an airlock on the Chronical ages ago because of yeast spilling over. There's now a blow off tube into a bucket.

Probably easiest to stay with watching the bubbles from the blow off tube as an indicator of the stage of fermentation.

Guy
[/quote]A Yank friend of mine is bringing me a Tilt next week. I'm interested to see how it goes in my SS Chronical.
Brian

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Cool, the tilt does sound interesting, be curious to hear about it.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:00 pm

I love my Tilt, forgot to prep it last brew day and really miss just being able to see how the ferment is going.