Kegerator out of American fridge freezer.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
paz1
Steady Drinker

Kegerator out of American fridge freezer.

Post by paz1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi All,

Our American fridge freezer stopped cooling the freezer to cold enough temperatures after 16 years :cry: . It still cools the freezer to below zero, but not to -16. The fridge section is working fine, so I thought why not make the most of this opportunity and use it to make a Kegerator out of it! :lol:

I just need help on a couple of points.

I was thinking of cutting some of the wall between the fridge and the freezer off, leaving enough for the 2 doors to shut onto, so that the whole unit can be at the same temperature which will be controlled by a STC1000, but what I am unsure about is if there are any “gas” pipes in that wall. Would anyone know if Samsung run any pipes or anything I shouldn’t cut out in the partition wall?

Secondly, with the current fault/ malfunction of the fridge, is it worth me spending time and money on this project or is the fridge freezer on its way out and will not last much longer the a few months/years? I don’t want to invest all the effort into the project for the freezer to stop cooling after a few months.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Paresh

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Kegerator out of American fridge freezer.

Post by jaroporter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 pm

no idea bout your first question, but any parts you buy will surely be transferable to a new kegerator if/when this one eventually gives up? also it'll give you a free shot setting it up so you can figure out what works and what you'd do better next time!
dazzled, doused in gin..

paz1
Steady Drinker

Re: Kegerator out of American fridge freezer.

Post by paz1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:38 pm

jaroporter wrote:no idea bout your first question, but any parts you buy will surely be transferable to a new kegerator if/when this one eventually gives up? also it'll give you a free shot setting it up so you can figure out what works and what you'd do better next time!
I appreciate what your saying about reusing all the parts, but the thing is, before this showed up as a possible "opportunity", I had my heart set on a new chest freezer conversation. I have only been waiting for an opening to order one without getting in trouble :oops: with swmbo.
More than the kit, I am thinking of time. This conversation will not be a quick job. I just don't want to put the time in only for it to last me 2 months or so.

I guess I should start with the middle panel. If I get through that without killing the freezer then I might give setting it up a go.

Thanks