My creation

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wylye_hall_brewer

My creation

Post by wylye_hall_brewer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Been designing and building a one pot brew system to do 19l corny batches.
It uses a 33l pot with a 2500w element fitted.
Underneath is a stainless base which houses the 12v recirculation pump.
There is a separate unit that controls the temp and offers boil heat intensity controll and 12v for pump.
The inner stainless bucket is for the grain and features mesh screens and pop out legs that support the bucket as it drains.
All stainless and food safe plastic.
Have used for two brews both reached the 70% efficiency. Although the recipes i used are lacking that something special so more this weekend till i strike oil
Any questions or suggestions welcomed.

Photo link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6YhOSAdaVCAbComF3

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: My creation

Post by Fil » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:00 pm

we NEED!! way more detail than that bud ;) crackin lookin bit of kit by the pics, but we lurve all the build details too, but how about giving us the full run down on those sparge legs for starters ;)

:twisted:

btw after building a 100% SS system i also found something lacking in the brews till i dropped a couple of clean copper end feed fittings into the mash tun and kettle, I think the hot side benefits from copper in the plumbing.. might have all been in my head??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 am

Completely agree, that is one fantastic rig. Very neat and the boil looks nice and steady. I toyed for ages with upgrading my e-keggle to something similar but it was taking too much time away from making the end product.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am

The spring release legs for use when draining look excellent

wylye_hall_brewer

Post by wylye_hall_brewer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Thank you all.

Yeah the spring legs where an idea that 'sprung' to mind over the draining. I didn't want to have to faff about with putting a support in. So they are literally just spring loaded (very light spring) ends with a flat machined out. And you put the inner grain bucket inside the main pot after pressing these in. And when you lift the bucket they pop out and rest on rim and allow the bucket to drain.

The base is an inverted massive dog bowl. Stainless and about a tenner.

The drain for the pump and tap I made from some stainleas and they have a ptfe washer. I'll try and find a picture to further explain.

The pump I was worried about being to ephemeral to start but time will tell.

The white plastic top to the bucket is a large hdpe chopping board that is milled to shape to except stainless mesh.

I used a second hand pid controller linked with a phase chopper to control both the on off of the element and the element power if needed. Means during mash it is only using about 1000w to heat so no scorching.

Below is a link for some more pics to show details.
Again any questions or suggestions much welcomed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8zxtSYu4ssWi14HO2