Discolouring in stockpot

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DaveGillespie

Discolouring in stockpot

Post by DaveGillespie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 am

I have a 33 litre stock pot with stainless tap that was my boiler up until a few months back was my boiler - since retired in favour of a Grainfather. There are no elements, sight glasses etc. just the standard pot with tap. I'm intending to use it as a fermenter so in addition to replacing the bulkhead fitting for the tap with a new one I was in the process of cleaning it up over the weekend - the whole pot was given a 20 minute soak in a strongish (3 scoops in 30 litres) Oxi solution. Some beer stone was left after this in the bottom of the pot so I rubbed a lemon on it, let it sit for 10 minutes then rinsed. The result is this:
kettle.jpg
Any ideas what's happened here? Is it OK to ferment in this?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Discolouring in stockpot

Post by Fil » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:31 am

I cant see the problem?? but a polish with barkeepers friend should remove any surface taint. wilko's stock it..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am

It's sort of a purple colour - I'm not sure if it's a problem myself, which is why I'm asking. I'm not bothered about polishing it, just wondering if it was indicative of any reaction on the metal.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 am

+1 on the barkeepers friend.

Could be corrosion.

Given that you intend to have beer sat in it for weeks at a time as opposed to 1 hour boils, I would look a passivating your pot to get it in tip top condition.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/01/09/pa ... um=twitter

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk