What size propane?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris2012
Under the Table

Re: What size propane?

Post by chris2012 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Aleman - That's very interesting thanks. I hadn't thought about the Bar that the regulator puts out.

I've never used a burner before, so I'm wondering, you mention your burner is 11kW, to roughly get that wattage at the flame, how do you know what bar you're supposed to feed it?

Is the 37mBar the max pressure you can feed it?

Also do propane regulators have a dial like co2 regs?

Is it possible to feed too much pressure, and what happens if you do that? Could the flame just blow out at high pressures?

(Nice piccys too! :)

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:08 pm

My Adjustable reg doesn't have a dial on it, but I rarely have need to turn it up from the lowest point. It is possible to blow the flame out if it is too high, but at 150mBar I've not had it happen yet. . . a 0.5 to 4Bar reg may very well do so easily. As I said, if you are going above around 8KW then you ideally need a regulator that can deliver 4Kg/hour, you may get away with 1Kg an hour but with heat losses up the side of the pot then you are looking at extended heating times.

As to how much gas you need to achieve the wattage specified, I came across the advice on the web somewhere (Possibly the Bullfinch web site)

My Burner came from Gas Products and is the 400mm Paella burner which has the pressures allowed . . . technically greater than 50mBar is an issue, but . . .. if I was using it indoor then I'd fit it with a Flame Failure Device :D

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Cheers! Yeah I would be using it outside, I'd be worried about burning my shed down otherwise heh.