WHYM Kit - AB InBev's 24 hr beer thing

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris2012
Under the Table

WHYM Kit - AB InBev's 24 hr beer thing

Post by chris2012 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:18 pm

http://www.whymkit.com/

Looking at the videos, it looks like you boil hops in water, then add water to a 'base beer'. I can't help but think that's going to really water down the beer.

Also another thought, when steeping caramel malt in water, I believe a certain amount of starch can self-convert (assuming steeping at mash temps), meaning there may be unwanted sweetness.

I'm still kind of intrigued as to how it tastes, if I get bored sometime I might try their method.

I thought alternatively if you did want to bitter an existing beer, with hop flowers/pellets, without using oils or whatnot, you could maybe
boil the beer with a condenser on the boiler to condense water/alcohol and drop it back into the boiler, whether that would work well I'm not sure though?

Jim
Site Admin

Re: WHYM Kit - AB InBev's 24 hr beer thing

Post by Jim » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:18 am

It's not really brewing though, is it? You're just buying ready made beer and adding flavourings to it.

Why bother? Just buy a beer that tastes the way you want.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: WHYM Kit - AB InBev's 24 hr beer thing

Post by chris2012 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:27 am

Yeah definitely, it's certainly not brewing.

I can't really imagine the process works terribly well either.

Another thing I just thought, if the base beer really in un-hopped, I wonder what its shelf life is.

Also their videos don't seem to mention anything about how long the hops are actually boiled.