Aldi remote control barbecue thermometer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Aldi remote control barbecue thermometer

Post by lord groan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Has anyone got one of these?
I saw some in the clearance section at Aldi and thought they might work for brewing. No clues on the packet about the working temperature range though so I wondered if anyone hadone. Thinking about using the remote to monitor fermentation

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Aldi remote control barbecue thermometer

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:18 pm

battery life could be an issue?? i have an amazon sourced version and both the transmitter and receiver need batteries.

if your using an stc1000 v1 with a programming header added you can plug in a rf transmitter and run the stc1000+ firmware to transmit the stc1000 temp and relay status
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:18 pm

battery life could be an issue?? i have an amazon sourced version and both the transmitter and receiver need batteries.

if your using an stc1000 v1 with a programming header added you can plug in a rf transmitter and run the stc1000+ firmware to transmit the stc1000 temp and relay status
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Yes I'm using an stc but I've no idea which version it is. I've never really thought about the whole monitoring/data logging aspect before, I just set the target temp and come back a few days later when it's done. From what you suggest I think I'll check the stc over before doing anything else
Cheers fil

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:56 pm

I got one recently for actual cooking, but I've used it to measure for the strike, sparge and mash temps for my last two brews. fwiw mine is accurate, and the transmitter works through two walls which is nice - I can let my boiler go and set it for say 2c below strike temp so when the alarm goes I can get to the boiler just as it hits the right temperature. you do need batteries although it comes with sets for both transmitter and receiver. for £10 or whatever it cost it was a no brainer imo :)

I wouldn't bother using it for fermentation though, I imagine it would eat the batteries if left on for hours and is as useful as a normal thermometer.

you can get data logging temperature probes off ebay I think for not much money if you are worried about the stc not working properly.

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks Hanglow, they're in the clearance at £4.99 now but I'll probably give it a miss, I think I'm just in the mood for more gadgetry which i dont really need.
Must be strong :(

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:24 pm

I've got a non-Aldi similar thing for BBQing; tried it for mashing once. The probes aren't completely waterproof and I expect the Aldi one is the same, pretty major drawback for this application.