King keg do you use still? ???

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
trickybrew

King keg do you use still? ???

Post by trickybrew » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 pm

How many of you brewers still use king kegs im about to start up brewing again, but id like to use the king keg this time,
Thanks in advance for any help and advice

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Re: King keg do you use still? ???

Post by wezzel01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm

I still use a bottom tap King Keg even thought I have a cornie. It works fine although I did fit a pressure gauge to the lid (about 15quid from eBay)as I once had one split from over pressurising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

supergreenmini
Tippler

Post by supergreenmini » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 pm

I have a top tap one and have not used it for a number of years.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Drinking: Elderflower Pale Ale, Stout
Conditioning: Sierra Nervarda Porter
FV: Pale Ale

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 pm

I've used stainless kegs for years but only recently dropped the last of my King Kegs. They are fine; it really depends on what you need from them and the complexity you want to go to. Stainless kegs are superior to plastic if you empty them slowly; the beer can remain unoxidised to the last pint even after weeks of dispensing. The slim ones also have a much smaller footprint, if space is important. But king kegs are simpler and generally need fewer costly peripherals.

The top-tap vs bottom-tap option for king kegs is another decision. The top tap lets you get a glass under the tap if it is placed on a level surface/floor and in theory draws clearer beer from the top. However I found the bottom tap more reliable, and they will still dispense if you run out of CO2. My beer has generally settled by the time it is ready for drinking so the top tap tended to pose more complication than was worthwhile, but if you want to drink it greener or have problems with clearing then your mileage will be different.

King kegs are (IMO) fairly expensive for plastic barrels; the budget barrels may actually be better value and you shouldn't need a wider top with decent cleaning potions. Stainless is obviously a lot more costly and the connectors, regulators etc add up as well, but if you consider things like resale value or longevity then things get much closer.
Kev

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:48 pm

I have two top-tap King Kegs which I still use on occasion. I changed the taps for THESE which was well worth the expense

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:57 pm

are them the ones with the floating syphon and look like a pig ??

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:57 am

I used to use my 3 regularly, but stopped when I moved to cornies. However I recently had to use one for my latest brew when I ran out of co2. It's ok but I like the control I can get when force carbonating. The king keg dispenses quickly when newly filled!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am

My three bottom tap King Kegs have served me well for many, many years. The original, and horrid, drum taps have been replaced by taps from old Boots beer barrels. No longer available, unfortunately, but the ones linked to by MarkA look good.

Mine have S30 adaptors in the lid which take the large Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinders. Mostly, though, the natural carbonation from the secondary fermentation is sufficient to allow the beer out of the keg. If the beer starts to run slowly all it takes is a quick burst from the cylinder to allow the beer to run freely again.

The kegs have a large dimple in the base which ensures most of the beer comes out before it gets to the level of the tap. Then it's easy enough to tip the keg forward with something underneath it to hold it in place to get the final couple of pints out.

The 4" opening at the top is useful for getting my arm in to clean round the bottom and sides of the keg before swishing it round with Starsan and leaving it sealed until the next use.

There's never been a problem with any leaking or splitting so I'm very happy to carry on using them and, indeed, recommend them as long as you change the tap!

Guy

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:35 pm

I only have one left and have used it for long term ageing of beers, wouldn't want to tie up a cornie. Would recommend dumping the useless drum taps and replacing with a Dalex.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:37 pm

guypettigrew wrote:My three bottom tap King Kegs have served me well for many, many years. The original, and horrid, drum taps have been replaced by taps from old Boots beer barrels. No longer available, unfortunately, but the ones linked to by MarkA look good.

Mine have S30 adaptors in the lid which take the large Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinders. Mostly, though, the natural carbonation from the secondary fermentation is sufficient to allow the beer out of the keg. If the beer starts to run slowly all it takes is a quick burst from the cylinder to allow the beer to run freely again.

The kegs have a large dimple in the base which ensures most of the beer comes out before it gets to the level of the tap. Then it's easy enough to tip the keg forward with something underneath it to hold it in place to get the final couple of pints out.

The 4" opening at the top is useful for getting my arm in to clean round the bottom and sides of the keg before swishing it round with Starsan and leaving it sealed until the next use.

There's never been a problem with any leaking or splitting so I'm very happy to carry on using them and, indeed, recommend them as long as you change the tap!

Guy
What he said Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Only in winter when its cold enough to not have to chill them (2). I brew in mid December and they'll it'll last into March (if I'm lucky) - one top take-off, one bottom. Both valves replaced, S30 fittings. Just don't overtighten the lids and they're easy to clean - they get stored in the loft for the other 9 months. I guess they'll go the way of everyone else's when I migrate to Cornie's and a kegerator.

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:48 pm

No. And I got rid of my corny setup too! You can't beat bottles for simplicity and variety IMHO. If I had a second person in the house drinking a fair amount of beer, I might consider something again.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery