Floating HERMS return manifold

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JabbA

Floating HERMS return manifold

Post by JabbA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

I need to refine my HERMS set-up. I've got a thermopot MT and don't want to drill through the lid if I can help it. To get the return manifold sit at the right level I'm thinking a float of some sort.

The current plan is to get some hard foam, cut it to fit around the return manifold as a raft and cover it in strong aluminium foil, fixing it with some food grade epoxy.

The arms of the manifold are dry-fit and can be angled to suit the height of the mash.

Oh, the manifold will be given a good soak in citric acid before using again, it looks manky as I've not used it in a few years!

Anyone done similar, does it work?!?

Cheers,
Jamie

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Floating HERMS return manifold

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:51 pm

No pictures!

Guy

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Huh, they work for me! Must be something to do with the new forum software and Google Photos. Links: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4YrzXlbQElgHcKwr2 https://photos.app.goo.gl/o5wVQySKwVD2kIlh1

Cheers,
Jamie

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:44 am

no pics, but may i suggest you simply lay a layer of perforated foil atop your mash and lay a silicone tube on top of that. the foil will protect the mash bed from getting disturbed and the perforations should help distribute an even drain. If you have a need for a build project a nice perforated SS plate cut to fit could be on the cards its mass adding to the stability of the grain bed.

i just dont like the sound of glued on foil tbh..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(