I'm after a grain mill

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jim my

I'm after a grain mill

Post by Jim my » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:50 pm

My old grain mill doesn't work very well and I am looking for a replacement. I want a grain mill that works well crushing to 0.8mm on the first crush, and one that is robust and will last a very long time.
If anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful. I was looking at the 3 roller mill that The Malt Miller have in stock, does anyone own one of these and how do you rate them please?

Maldon John
Steady Drinker

Re: I'm after a grain mill

Post by Maldon John » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm

I have used the the MM two roller version for about 18 months(used once a month) and it produces a first time fairly consistent crush at .9mm.( with a slow drill speed). No issues so far, seems well made.

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Jim my wrote:My old grain mill doesn't work very well and I am looking for a replacement. I want a grain mill that works well crushing to 0.8mm on the first crush, and one that is robust and will last a very long time.
If anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful. I was looking at the 3 roller mill that The Malt Miller have in stock, does anyone own one of these and how do you rate them please?
I use the MM three roller mill. It's the only mill i've used, so i can't compare it to others, but so far it works well and has a consistent crush. I'd recommend it

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 am

i was wondering what the op jim my problems were. so that he want a new mill.

i got a cheap mill 2 roller from china, the only prob i had was the mill roller adjustment slipped, but once i reground the adjustment bolts to a point rather from being flat ended ive had no problems with the rollers slipping and good crushing
To Busy To Add,

Grumpydev
Piss Artist

Post by Grumpydev » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 am

Only issue I have had with mine is when I switched to using a drill the torque was too much for the finger tight roller bolts to keep the roller still - quick tweak with a adjustable spanner sorted that though.

Jim my

Post by Jim my » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 am
i was wondering what the op jim my problems were. so that he want a new mill.

i got a cheap mill 2 roller from china, the only prob i had was the mill roller adjustment slipped, but once i reground the adjustment bolts to a point rather from being flat ended ive had no problems with the rollers slipping and good crushing
Well, my mule has Laminitis, the kids have grown up and left home and my missus has athritis in both knees, so as you can imagine it takes her ages to crush 12kg of grain :wink: .
i3mages.jpg
i3mages.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 2152 times

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 pm

I guess if you take your donkey to the kebab shop, your get enough sheckles to get a 3 rollers-Royce type

Umm let me know what kebab shop you take it to, as I fancy a change from Donna-kebabs , :=P
I've heard the donkey-kebabs are Hee-Haww good :wink:
To Busy To Add,

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 am

I've been using the Brewferm mill for about 2 years, perhaps twice a month. It's been very good, but I have never owned another mill so can't compare. I crush very fine (0.7mm) after conditioning the malt and crush always seems very consistent (no whole berries), with nice whole husks after conditioning.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:34 am

Matt in Birdham wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 am
I crush very fine (0.7mm) after conditioning the malt
What does that involve?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:41 am

Malt Conditioning
Really worth doing in my opinion, the difference in crush (bigger, whole husks with finer flour) is remarkable, for very little extra effort. The intact husks really do improve the circulation of my HERMS.