Immersion Chiller - one x long loop or multiple short?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Immersion Chiller - one x long loop or multiple short?

Post by Jocky » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:28 am

The #1 biggest speed improvement is normally to agitate the wort or chiller during the cooling process.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Immersion Chiller - one x long loop or multiple short?

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 am

MTW wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:25 am
If you want fast chilling, especially in the summer, consider building a second small single coil which can sit in a pot of iced water ahead of the main coil. It speeds up the later stages a lot, for the cost of a £1 bag of ice per brew and an easy build.
I used to fill a large ice chest with cold water and ice blocks, and pump from this to the IC - I could get to 8C for pitching lager yeast this way in 30+C air temps, and quite quickly too. To be honest though, I'd rather wait another 10 mins than go through the effort of pre-chilling in the UK, but if I can save those 10 mins whilst still using a simple IC process then that would be a win.

Jocky - yes, definitely. I stir often during chilling, would take forever without.