Boiler failure - or not? Need advice.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Mitchamitri2

Boiler failure - or not? Need advice.

Post by Mitchamitri2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 pm

So I spend today making the first brew for years. My 15+ year old boiler - for which I have no history but I remember buying it from hop and grape or somewhere as a complete boiler - has 2 elements. It's working fine this morning for mash and sparge temps and I noted for around about 25 litres when I forgot it earlier it got up to boil.

BUT - then I come to 90 minute boil of 45 litres and it won't get up to boiling. Element no.1 isn't working at all and element no.2 is switching off once it gets to boil (like a kettle element would). I make the mistake of persisting with the element that's switching off but to no avail.

I effectively give up and after 2+ hrs on intermittent roll over on element 2 add the aroma hops only to then get element 1 working after fidgeting. So I run the aromas for too long to get at least some kind of break and run on instinct, and have skipped the wort chilling and just leaving it overnight to settle.

Am sure theres a beer in there somewhere but what's up with my boiler. Has it actually been designed to have one element that cuts out and one that runs permanent (I guess I would only notice if the permanent element fails), or is it up the duff? If so where do I get new elements.

New surge of passion for doing this after so long not doing it somewhat pissed on.......in a bad way

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Boiler failure - or not? Need advice.

Post by Fil » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:19 pm

A pic or link to a similar kettle would help, but it sounds like 1 x dead element (blown fuse in the plug?) and one cutting out due to overboil protection with some sort of thermal switch, if a thermal fuse was in play it would blow and not restart when cooler.

you can test the continuity of the 'dead'? element with a simple multimeter set to measure resistance or with a continuity buzzer, if no continuity then the element has blown..

as for thermal protection thats is dependent on the element, and generally only a problem with recycled kettle elements pics would be needed for specific advice tho.

I asume both elements were shiney and bright metal before you started as any calcium build up really needs scrubbing off asap post boil as it can help elements overheat, citric acid lemon juice or vinigar can dissolve it once its set, but if caught right after the boil a green kitchen scrubby and 5 minutes of elbow grease will get it off ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 am

As element 1 started working, you have a loose connection. Can you upgrade the leads/elements? e.g.

I've used these rewirable sockets as I can unscrew them and tighten their grip.

On my shiny boiler I have old fashioned round connectors with backer elements, but if getting "swan kettle elements" on ebay, check they are at least 2.4kW as I believe some are only 1.5kW. These round connectors are well engineered to take abuse!
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Time to strip it down and make sure the elements and the earth connection connections are sound, while your at it check the elements with a multi-meter and replace as required.

45 litres is a lot so are you running on 1 x 13A supply and swapping between element?

aamcle

Mitchamitri2

Post by Mitchamitri2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks for the advice - sort of cunningly when we had the house rewired had two additional circuits put in just for brewing on two elements . I've now got one good element and one duff one so going to source a replacement . Thanks for all the advice really gas helped