Fermenting fridge advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
colgilbec
Piss Artist

Fermenting fridge advice

Post by colgilbec » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:25 am

Hopefully its in the right section , just set up a fermenting fridge using an inkbird ,coupled to a heat belt for heating and fridge kicks in when required.
I didnt have to do any drilling etc as the cables for brewbelt and temp control went through the drain cap quite nicely
Fermenting away nicely , but one thing has just dawned on me ,hope its not a stupid question does there need to be an air vent ?.
As will the pressure within the fridge build up?, i suppose in a worst case scenario it would blow the front door open? [please no Michael Caine puns,lol]
Thanks in advance for any replies.
If you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cats back and drop it from a building, it hovers just above the ground rotaing slowly.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Fermenting fridge advice

Post by keith1664 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 am

Unless you've blocked the drain completely any excess pressure would go that way.
Like you say high pressure would help open the door, crash cooling and low pressure may be more interesting.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

colgilbec
Piss Artist

Post by colgilbec » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks keith i was guessing that but just needed reassurance as i cannot see anything related.
If you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cats back and drop it from a building, it hovers just above the ground rotaing slowly.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:26 am

Never had any kind of problem with pressure inside a fermenting fridge. As Kieth says, there's already a vent in most (all?) fridges for the drain at the back, as long as you don't block it.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Fridges simply aren't that leak proof so nothing to worry about

colgilbec
Piss Artist

Post by colgilbec » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks Jim and Meatymc for verifying.