pump issues

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
supergreenmini
Tippler

pump issues

Post by supergreenmini » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:47 pm

I have two 12v pumps which i bought from bridgwater brewing https://www.bridgewaterbrewing.co.uk/st ... p_12v.html and they have served me well. Having watched the larger 240V pumnps at kegkingdom i decided to splash out. https://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collection ... -pump-3000

I have a 3 vessel system with my HLT just about head height. I connected the new pump up and leak tested with water. I had no leaks but found that the new pump would not pump up to the top tap in my HLT. This is about 1.5M above the pump and having looked at the label on the pump it states, rated head 1.5M. I am now assuming this is a 1.5M hight. There is HMax of 2.4/3.4M so how could i achieve lifting the liquid to the max? Could this be an issue with my electrics or should i look to reduce the diameter of the tubing? I'm using 13mm internal diameter silicone tubing. Maybe i need to go bigger again and get a chugger. It will be interesting to find out if anyone else has had issue pumping into vertical systems.

Mark
Drinking: Elderflower Pale Ale, Stout
Conditioning: Sierra Nervarda Porter
FV: Pale Ale

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: pump issues

Post by Kev888 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes the max head is the height to which the pump will lift. Flow rate and head are related: at zero head (i.e. no lifting) you get the maximum flow rate, at the max head you get no flow - all points in between are some compromise between the two. In this case you have two values depending on whether you are using 50hz or 60Hz - the uk electrical supply is the former so sadly the max head is 2.4m not 3.4m

The 'rated' head is a slight puzzle, I don't understand why the manufacturer would rate the pump at less than its maximum - or why you can't reach the maximum before the flow ceases. It almost seems 1.5m 'is' the max head in your case.. It may be, and the max a misleading translation thing; I've seen the same 'rated' head described as the 'standard' head (with non-standard pump options giving more).

There are a couple of things to make sure of in order to get best performance, both related to these types of pumps not sucking very well; the water needs to run into them freely in order that they can then push the water out. So firstly make sure the pump is well below the level of the supply water at all times, and has no narrow restriction or control valve in the tubing that supplies the pump (such things should be on/after the pump's outlet side). Secondly, make sure it is primed - i.e. that the inlet tubing and pump are full of water and no air pockets - before starting to pump. Airlocks or restriction in the outlet tubing can stop this happening even if the pump is below the supply level.

Edit: there is a chart here for the MP range of pumps at 50Hz. I believe the pump3000 to be the MP-15RM (15R in the graph), so the max head 'seems' to be more than the rated head. But whether this chart is for the standard spec and whether that is what kegkingdom have, I'm not certain - so take this as possible rather than definate:
Kev

supergreenmini
Tippler

Post by supergreenmini » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks for the info. Sometime I do experience an air lock but the 12v pumps cope ok with this and chug through it. I'll test again with your suggestions.

Mark

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Drinking: Elderflower Pale Ale, Stout
Conditioning: Sierra Nervarda Porter
FV: Pale Ale

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 am

It could well make a difference; this type of pump has a much lower head rating than the 12v pumps and doesn't cope nearly as well with airlocks in the outlet etc. I've just bought a 15RM and was quite surprised by how easily they are defeated by this.

In other ways they seem pretty good: well made and with a big enough impeller to cope with modest grain/hop particles, true magnetic coupling, no crevices in the impeller housing and they can be properly disassembled for cleaning.

The low head (compared to flow) is actually an advantage when it comes to restricting flow for slow sparging or gentle mash recirculation. But their spec isn't really the most suitable for lifting clean water to high levels, or pushing against lots of restriction (say a big CFC or restrictive filters). I hope with a few tweaks you can get yours to do what is needed.
Kev

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

I have similar pumps and on mine there is a "switch", like a screw head slot, that can be turned to alter the pump speed. Check if there is something like this and try altering it whilst running to see if it changes the flow for the better.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer