Non contact thermometers

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Paddington
Piss Artist

Non contact thermometers

Post by Paddington » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Simple question - are these any good?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Non contact thermometers

Post by orlando » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 am

Er, yes, but a qualified one. For total accuracy no. I only use it for yeast starters when I don't want to risk infection. As long as I can introduce the yeast to a starter with a margin of error +- 3c it's fine. For anything else a decent ETI Thermapen is perfect.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank, I’ll look at those. I’ve since.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Go for the Thermapen 4 if you can stretch to it, it really is a fantastic product. Lights up when dark, handy in the mash tun, rotates so you can use in either hand, shuts off automatically and turns on again when you pick it up, water proof and is certificated for accuracy. =D>
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 pm

orlando wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 am
Er, yes, but a qualified one. For total accuracy no. I only use it for yeast starters when I don't want to risk infection. As long as I can introduce the yeast to a starter with a margin of error +- 3c it's fine. For anything else a decent ETI Thermapen is perfect.
I have a Thermapen 3 and can highly recommend it, though for accuracy alone I have to say that my Comark DT400 matches its reading throughout the range, very closely indeed. It's just slower with a smaller display. So if you're on a budget...
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 pm

MTW wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 pm
I have a Thermapen 3 and can highly recommend it, though for accuracy alone I have to say that my Comark DT400 matches its reading throughout the range, very closely indeed. It's just slower with a smaller display. So if you're on a budget...
That matches my experience of the two quite closely; with mine there is around 0.5c disagreement between the two at mash temperatures, but it is a very predictable amount so easily accounted for.

Another non contact method (in a way) are the stick-on lcd/colour-changing strips. They are a bit rubbish for absolute accuracy but sufficient for starters. Though I can't recall if they can be harmed by boiling temperatures or not, e.g. if you hot-fill the starter vessel.
Kev

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I've definitely discounted the original option.