My New Single Vessel Brewery

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: My New Single Vessel Brewery

Post by Jocky » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 pm

I like it!

I think any overflowing problems can be solved by allowing the inner pot to overflow into the outer one.

A beefy pump that can survive bits of grain going through it may eventually be a wise decision (if you don't have one already).
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:09 pm
Damn. I'm now thinking that I have a bit of a design flaw. The grain became quite compact near the end of the mash. Is this down to not having a malt pipe? Will my plan to make two more holes make a difference with overflow/grain compacting?

Any advice welcome!

Damn... knew this was too good to be true...
A couple of things to think about, from operating the Braumiester for a few years:

1. The BM has a pump rest for a couple of minutes approx every 15-20 mins during recirculation, it helps to prevent channeling and will enable the pumps to loosen the grain bed when they restart (2 pumps on a 50L model).

2. Grain crush is important for the BM, most owners usually mill to 1.2mm, if a crush is too fine then there can be stuck mash and channeling issues. If a mash is getting really stuck, then a stir at pump rests will usually get the recirculation back to normal.

3. A rest and stir at dough in at a lower temp, 40-60C, helps to ensure that there are no dough balls and the grain is fully soaked, usually 10-15 mins before recirculation and temp raise to sacch rests.

My mash efficiency is around 80%, normal for a BM is 75-85%
Last edited by MashTim on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MashTim
Piss Artist

Post by MashTim » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Posted in error - delete

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:04 am

super build, oat husk/hulls as a mash addition could help with the drainage issues, (cheaper than the recommended rice hulls )

alternatively you could use a grainbag as well, and simply closing the bag mouth with its drawstring to contain the grain shold also allow you to let the inner pot overflow safely.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am

Lots of food for thought here boys. Thank you. My mind is at rest again. Maybe I had the pump running too fast on Sat. Would explain the grain bed compacting.

With regards to overflow - Maybe a few holes near the top of the inner vessel would do the trick. I could put mesh over them to stop grain matter spilling out and chugging up the pump. Needs to look super tidy though. I'm obsessed with this thing looking pro! :-)

I'll add the other 6cm holes on the bottom of the inner vessel too. Surely that would help with grain compaction.

Will keep you posted on the next brew.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:21 pm

OK. So I brewed today again and... everything worked.

I added a flow control ball valve to the 'pump box' outlet. Looks really tidy. Then I throttled it back until I was getting 1.2L per minute during recirculation. Mashed for an hour and the inner vessel volume remained around 1.5cm - 2cm above the outer vessel volume. Absolutely no threat of an over flow. This was without the extra 6cm holes, too, so no need to start punching holes again. Wort was clear as hell by the end and I managed 73% efficiency.

American Red in the fermenter and already smelling divine.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:04 pm

RESULT!! to mis-quote the Ateam, " I lurve it when a brew plan comes together ;)"
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 am

:-) :-)
Much better than the original